View Single Post
Old 03-08-18, 10:19 PM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

The sun doesn't play any role for me AFAIK, but I know that the moonlight can make your sub easier to spot, I just don't remember if it's when you have the moon in front together with your targets, or if it's behind when the enemies are looking in your direction and also looking towards the moon. I think it's this first one that gets you spotted earlier, the watch crew doesn't get blinded in that case, having a better contrast with their glasses, and some 'unusual' reflected wakes could be better spotted, so the watch crew would see your wake trail before spotting your sub (provided ofc that the sea is not rough, or they don't stand any chance to spot you). But that's my speculation only, was it so in real life ? And in TWoS?

Generally I go with the approx formula that when you first spot an enemy ship at night, you can go between 1/2 and 2/3 of that distance closer before they spot you provided you keep your bow pointed to them and don't go too fast. Moonlight can change all this, but I have yet to get sure about that.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 03-08-18 at 10:51 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote