Old 09-14-10, 05:16 AM   #97
SquareSteelBar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 618
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie View Post
@SSB:

Lets say there is a program called xyz.exe which is buggy and is no more supported by the developers.

Now let's say I've made some useful corrections to that program and call the corrected one xyz_2.exe.

Since I do not want to support illegal software duplification, I cannot put my corrected file xyz_2.exe on a server for free download.

A solution for this problem is to only put the CHANGES, the DIFFERENCES between the two files (the corrected and the original one) on the server, because this difference is only useful for people who already have the original file. or in other words: the original is required to create the corrected file.

1. Using bsdiff I create the difference of the corrected and the original file:
PATCH = xyz_2.exe - xyz.exe

2. Then I put PATCH on a server for download.

3. The legal user of xyz.exe applies the PATCH to xyz.exe using bspatch and gets xyz_2.exe according to the relation:

xyz_2.exe = xyz.exe + PATCH.

PATCH is useless for all those who do not own xyz.exe.

Maybe now it's understandable why I don't offer any exe files for download, which indeed would make life much easier.

h.sie
That all was already clear for me...
---------------------------------------------------

What I didn't understand is the intention of making a binary difference of a starforced and non-starforced file...
Quote:
...Using the bsdiff/bspatch tools, it is very easy (for a person who has both versions: starforced and non-starforced) to make a binary difference of both versions...
...as the result you'll get the SF stuff but for what purpose?
SquareSteelBar is offline   Reply With Quote