View Single Post
Old 10-23-18, 12:15 PM   #11072
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
I think removing the SH5 morale doesn’t really affect realism.

Keaping up the crew morale by cook’s food was a good idea, but the cook is loosing 1 point each time...hence very limited morale boost.
When asking chief to hurry repairs, without morale points it’s impossible.
Flooding as well, and when it’s a matter of life and death, in real life, even a demoralized chief would do the best he could to not die!
But i think Vecko has understood this

The morale stuff is existing in SH5 just to give us some extra activity (as others SH)
In reality, there was not morale influence in submariners job or very little.
They were doing their best to stay alive, even eating crappy food, and never refused Kaleun’s orders. Their best to sink as much tonnage as they could.
How many patrols were back without any kills? Plenty. And the crew was always there doing their best!
Not happy in the U-Boot warfare? Transfert to the East Front infantry

Realism (if any playing it on PC!) is more a matter of Real nav mod, no visible contacts Etc...
Just my opinion.
Without morale system, the player could make patrols to last forever as long as he can find friendly bases to refit from, and crew to be as efficient after three or four months spent at sea in a row, as at day #1. In my opinion, this would be an even worse immersion breaker than crew and officers refusing at times to accomplish orders because of an uncareful morale management.

Like it or not, morale status has an important role, both in real life and for game mechanics. In game, we can mitigate the effect of morale points on crew efficency, change some phrases and avoid as much as possible that one of our orders gets totally disattended, but giving up the morale factor at all, imho would be a bad mistake.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote