Halcyon
Helmsman

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
Did some digging.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=232919

It's just a linear formula y=mx + b, where x is the speed in knots and y is the depth in feet, with m equal to the first parameter (20) and b equal to the second parameter (-100). Were you testing the depths manually or using the new automated depth control?

Although 19 vs 20 are in fact not identical, they're very close. Honestly, when you're diving and the boat is at an angle, I don't know how useful the keel depth would be to determine cavitation given that the bow and stern would be at different depths. I'm not sure if the game takes that into account.
I tested by manually adjusting the ballast to go down 1 foot at a time. I went back and forth several times between +19 or +20 feet for several speeds to find which depth triggered the cavitation.

The slope intercept formula isn't linear in my testing. Maybe they round up or down for fractional depths...but that data is locked into the code and the only way you know for sure is manually testing.

As far as angles, my boat was level the entire time during testing because I left the planes at 0.

Last edited by Halcyon; 09-11-17 at 11:08 PM.
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote