View Single Post
Old 05-01-14, 07:52 PM   #2
UKönig
Captain

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

If you're talking about the most successful hunting in the Atlantic that I have ever found, then the award goes to New York City.
Tankers, small and large, merchants, all sizes, and best of all, passenger liners.
In vanilla SH3, the ocean liner is worth almost 25,000 tons. The reality, for the ship as depicted in the game, the tonnage is closer to 80,000.
For those interested, the liners Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary (each about 80,000 tons) were converted to troopship duties during the war. At their peaks, they each carried about 15,000 soldiers to battlefields in Europe. In fact, if I remember correctly, Queen Mary still holds the record of most troops transported in a single crossing. It got so bad that hitler offered a bounty of 250,000 reichsmarks to any Uboat who could verify the sinking of either (preferably both).
Pros/cons
Pros: take north side of long island, if you can slip in undetected, destroyers will not think to follow you, they like to take the main gates.
Cons: at least 2 very shallow (10m or less) points, forcing you to surface and 2 choke points, requiring careful maneuvering. If you pick a bad time to do this (you'll know) you may have to deal with aircraft (bombers) with no AA. But if you can get past the choke points, into the harbour, the bombers cannot get you w/o hitting the city at large.
Best to dive at the bridges (brooklyn i think) or else everything in the harbour with a cannon will start shooting at you, even through the buildings (with no clear line of sight). It's a bit tricky trying to line up some shots with the piers in the way, but if you can pull it off, it can be very rewarding. Draft clearance is enough for a type 7 and 9 to operate, but not a 21.
If I save most of my fish from my patrol, I can usually add anywhere from 30-60,000 tons to my haul...
UKönig is offline   Reply With Quote