View Single Post
Old 05-06-08, 09:40 AM   #64
asanovic7
Captain

Downloads: 70
Uploads: 0
Default Wind Affecting Smokes

This is how I figured the wind system, if someone knows better please call me a moron and explain correctly.
As you see this coordinate system in space(I know it's Cartesian but I don't know the right word) with x axis that is spreading in the ships direction, y axis is going up and z to the left of the ship(S..T, in the cross of the axis it's coordinates are x,y,z 0,0,0 so when I say spread in some direction it means that x is positive when going from 0 in the direction of the ship's stern and negative when going from the 0 in the direction of the ship's bow) .
Now, in properties of particle generators you have an windaffect number for the particles and wind properties for the whole thing. You can put number from 0-not affected by the wind to whatever(try if you like and know what to do) in windaffected number.
Now, wind properties for PG's consist of local and global x y z offsets. You should put 0, 0.1, 0.2 and so on to 1(don't know about other numbers, but I put 0,5, the smoke almost left the screen) into the xyz offsets. I tested a couple of times and didn't notice difference if you change local or global. The only thing I didn't do is to change them both :rotfl: . But, bear with me..
Now, in this mod y coordinate is affected, that meaning when wind is blowing the smoke will rise further.
So, to make smoke lean one way or the other, you have to change x and z. So, I added 0,1 to x and z in a hope when wind blows the smokes will be affected. And HOORAY, it leaned.. Until, I changed the weather direction from 0 to 180(opposite direction for you in the last thwart ) and hooray the smoke was leaning in the.. SAME DIRECTION..
I don't know about you but I find that ridicoulous.. So, basically everytime you have a wind the smoke will lean in the same direction regardless of that wind's direction. So, I left things the way they are.
On a pic that a6intruder shown on page 3(if I'm not mistaken) from dkruger you can see what will happen ***InMyHumbleOpinion*** when you add the numbers I just talked about.
Why I think adding some other number doesn't affect the thing?
Cause if you figure out the system, when you add 0,1 to x axis, that means the smoke will lean in the direction of the ship.
When you then add 0,1 to z axis, the smoke will then lean to the left of the stern of the ship, if we say ship's direction is due north, the smoke will lean in north, northwestern direction.

Hope I am wrong.
Cheers!

Last edited by asanovic7; 05-06-08 at 10:50 AM.
asanovic7 is offline   Reply With Quote