View Single Post
Old 05-31-14, 03:25 AM   #116
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

I think the trouble, though, is that it was in many ways a foregone conclusion before a shot had even been fired. Everyone involved with the German High Seas Fleet, with the possible exception of the Kaiser, knew that a direct confronation would be futile. Scheer was not seeking a decisive battle against the Grand Fleet at Jutland, and knew to get out as soon as he saw it about to happen. Start to end, the entire thing revolved around trying to trap and destroy a smaller RN unit to improve their balance, and in that sense the Germans almost succeeded at Jutland, with the way Beatty's ships got hit. But it wasn't the first or last time they tried that in the war.

I suppose yes, Jutland proved that German ambitions were and would continue to be futile in open confrontation with the British fleet, but it was basically proving something very self-evident. Putting those dreadnoughts in water was a way of proving that it's wet too, I guess.

On the upside, I still think that Hipper's "death ride" was the single finest action of the dreadnought era

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote