View Single Post
Old 01-05-13, 08:34 AM   #14
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

OOM - out of memory: should happen NOT on an x64 operation system and the FS config tailored via venetubo website, where the according entry to allow more than just short of 4 GB RAM is added into the config file (oh - I hope I do npot mix it up with an x32 issue here...) . Sure you did that procedure correctly? The config you get linked to by them needs to be moved to the appropriate location on your HD manually, it does not get put there by them. I further assume you do not use any addons, especially traffic addons (big resource hog). - I need to google this a bit, I have no answer on this right now. Edit: any excessive settings in your graphics driver, maybe? 64x super antialias or something like that? AA and AF should be set to be controlled by the software application. Switch off most of the other gimmicks. And in FSX, make sure you do not run the DX10 mode.

Edit: now that I think of it, I initially had comparable problems with this error, too, when migrating to FSX. I finally solved it "en passant", when doing a total system reinstall (for opther purpose than just FSX). The difference most prominent was that before I had a comprehensive ground texture replacement set in use, also an additional ground map addon, especially the latter being known to be able to cause massive fingerprints in the system'S use of resources. Also, back then I did not had the config correctly tweaked. So I urge you again to reassure yourself that you indeed have correctly handled the venetubo config replacement file, and that your system is correctly set up regarding memory assignment. - I have not had a single FSX crash since then, and I run it in a much more complex setup. Only during shutdown of FSX after having used the 737 on a mission, I occasionally have a shutdown error and FSX crashes - when I want to end anyway.

Active runway: if you have a flightplan filed, meaning you fly IFR, ATC will direct you around, telling you to descend and give you vectors, and also will tell you which runway to expect. If you fly VFR - no flightplan filed - you can switch to weather informations where they also mention active runways. You can also refuse the runway given to yoiu, and request another one. If you do, check wind direction before. You do not want to land with wind in your back, or crosswind. Hm. They really don't tell you when approaching via VFR what runway to expect? Ooops, was not aware of that. - Keep in mind, radio comms are terribly simlified and the procedures Control, demands oyu to fly are often a bit messy, not to mention that descend paths often are difficult to meet (spilers needed anyway). - On FS9 I used a traffic addon and had plenty of traffic indeed, a crowded place the airports were. With FSX I have to keep an eye on my ressources when using hte 737NGX, so no traffic addonb. I also ignore radio comms most of the time, and follow SIDs and STARs from the books instead, choosing runways according to weath reports and wind directions that I have examined via ASE before takeoff. - ASE: Active Sky, a weather online data collection tool, downloading METARs every couple of minutes and transforming them into mnore relasatic wetaher conditions than the default option in FSX. REX 2.0: replacement textures for sky, clouds, water surfaces, wave animations.

Immersion when taxiing: keep in mind that if you do not have airport charts, it is difficult to imagine in advance on which route to taxi the labyrinth of taxiways, so be a bit forgiving to yourself and use the inbuilt arrow-helpers. Keep in mind, in the real airliners, there are TWO pilots, one of which rolls the plane during taxiing, the other reassuring him or correcting him on choice of taxiways. The pilot not having controls (taxiing the planes) also would do all the comms with tower who assign the airplane the active taxiways. Reality probably is a bit easier than the simulation here! - Quality airport sceneries help tremendously, due to their detailed and complete taxiways sign set. A tool like AES (Airport Enhancement Services) also helps, not only does it add fueling, moving taxiways, service vehicles and boarding procedures, but after landing it gives you the option of a follow-me car to final docking position plus parking position adviser, so you can follow the car over the whole airport, like in reality. A massive boost in immersion!

On the GPS system, there is a long chapter on that and how to handle it in the learning centre, under "Navigation" - that part holds many sub-chapters, one of which is exclusively on the GPS' operation. It is very extensive and complete, I would say.

Overspeeding jetliners, well, key is proper FMC programming. And here keep in mind that I do not use the default planes. You need a correct weight and fuel calculation and a wetaher report giving you proper wind direction, strength and outside temperature. Next you set a socalled cost index that is rergulated by both carrier policies for speedy or economic flights and wanted conditions for the scheduled single flight. The faster the more expensive , that is what the cost index is about. In the Boeing FMC this cost index ranges from I think 40 to 400, 40 being the slowest and most economic, 400 being the fastest and most fuel burning. The difference in end speed can be in the range of 20-40 knots. - Next, proper use of the autopilot modes and FMC modes, I assume the default 737 does not copy the complexity by which this is simulated in the PMDG. Certain autopilot modes for changing flight levels have different effects results on the flight speed, using V/S or LVL CHG for climbing or descending are two very different things. - Many airliners are surprisingly good soaring planes, meaning: they lose speed not easily, but easily accelerate rapidly when descending. Using the spoilers/speed brakes is pretty much the norm when descending. My 737's CDU also issues warnings on when to use them for sure, when targets could not be met without. The efficiency of speed brakes vary with different airliner models. - A well done FM module in an airliner should calculate all by itself climb and descend paths that keep the airplane well within limits in all phases of flight. Can't say if that is the case with FSX' default one, too. - Keep in mind that airliners, modern ones, are flown from gear-up to short before touch-down in full automatic modes, the pilots only handle flaps, gear and spoilers manually, else just push buttons and turn knobs to enter new frequencies and numbers.

Skins: I do not know the situation with skins for the default planes, I cannot imagine they get too much attention anymore, with so many addons being around. But for addon planes, skins are available in huge numbers, usually. Avsim download section is the place to starrt your search, else: Google.

Elevation of runway: you can go to the menu and open the map. There find your airport in question and click on it, a window should open giving you all frequencies, runways, length, elevations and ILS courses. Or you use terminal approach charts and Jeppesens (a company name) that come with an airport scenery. You could also try to find pdfs of your favourite airport via google: "Airport name, Jeppesen" or "Airport name, ICAO" would be good searches maybe add "pdf". I know that these are available, since I am using some of such printable original maps myself. Others I have, came with addons, in form of small booklets. I think there are complete sites who offer nothing else but such maps (for freed download). - Finally, you could get a flight planner software like Flight Sim Commander 9.2.

Flight Length: I recommend my method: I make sure that my flights are such that between reaching travel altitude and begin of descend there is not more than 10-25 minutes time. Because it is not interesting to sit in a simulated airplane and just staring out of your monitor. - A great immersion boost is weather. If you want to give it a tremendous raise, consider investing in ASE and a texture replacement, like for example REX. The clouds do not compare to the default MS stuff, they are photorealistic. There is nothing better than to land in bad weather or fog at an airport with night lights, and you run all by instruments and the weather in rags and layers fly by outside the window, and just a minute before touchdown you see the runway lights. Diving into and getting out of clouds at altitude also does magic.

The 747 crashing, I assume that you engaged the altitude mode and the thing tried to launch into orbit like a rocket from Nasa. Of course, climb speed must stay within limits so that the engines can provide enough forward speed to keep the air flowing over the wings and provide you with lifting force. The closer to the minimum speed because climb speed is too high, the more the nose raises and the angle of attack goes up. Finally, the airflow over the wings breaks off, and you have the classic stall. Remedy: not only define a target altitude, but also a climb speed. This could be in the range of 1800-2400 feet, for example. The heavier the plane, and the higher you already are, the slower you must adjust it, else: stall. At an altitude of for example 28000 plus, expect to be able to climb at speeds in the lower hundreds of feet only, not the thousands.

Be advised that if this is what your autopilot does, this has nothing, really nothing to do with how the autopilot in the real Boeings works and/or is operated. FSX is a terrible simplification this regard, in principle using a sports plane'S autopilot for commanding the flightplan of a Boeing airliner. That is absurd. - I recall that there was somewhere a good introduction into the basic design and features of a typical Honeywell FMC for Boeings, I try if I find it again so that you can get an impression of how big the differences are and what the thing is really about. If you think it just controls course, speed and altitude, than think again- these things can do so incredibly many things more that FSX by default doe snot even touch upon! - I am a button pusher simulationist. I love FMCs (or FMS - FCS? -, as Airbus calls them, I think).

Last edited by Skybird; 01-05-13 at 10:23 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote