View Single Post
Old 01-16-06, 11:22 PM   #1
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 0
Default SH3Gen Campaign enhancement (version 0.8.2)

UPDATE 2009-09-14

I've focussed my activities on other things and there is no more time for Sh3Gen to be actively developed. But because of its design, it can be run with SHIII in the future.
Sorry that I never took the time to fix the issue with dolphins appearing as icebergs . But I wrote instructions how you can easily fix it in several threads in the past
Since there were some problems with the web page, I put up the download again. If you miss the old website content it is contained in the installation package in folder Sh3Gen/Documentation/Web.

Latest version is 0.8.2 and everything you need can be downloaded from here: http://www.global-explorer.de/SH3GEN...e_download.htm

Sh3Gen campaign enhancement

Sh3Gen is an external patrol engine for Silent Hunter III. It is reading and analyzing the main application files, adds historic and geospatial data and writes back an updated patrol information into a savegame. The new information shows up on reload of the savegame, in the ingame map and wardiary.

Sh3Gen is designed to be fully compatible with all mods for SHIII, and its data structures are open for community mods. Using Sh3Gen is safe, as the only files affected are the ones from the specified savegame. Sh3Gen is not a mod, but an application, and can safely be run with any mod, as long as the mod is working in the first place. Since its release, the concept has proven to be working, user have reported that the program is stable and clean.

Precisely, you will be given information about:

■ enemy ports - what kind of ships are there?
■ warships, big ships and convoys - where does naval intelligence suspect them to be?
■ the overall situation - whats going on in the world in general?
■ single merchants - in which areas can you expect to find unprotected shipping?
■ position of allied airbases - deduct amount of allied airpower from this

In addition to the data that comes from SHIII, it adds layers of 'virtual' data, namely:

■ real, varying mission objectives
■ standing operational orders in effect during the patrol, specifically researched for the whole war

Sh3Gen is meant to be an athmosphere and gameplay enhancement, not a spysat mod. Therefore, any information will be given randomly and will often not be reliable. There are a multitude of options to adjust reliability and amount of information to your playing style, as well as options to switch off certain modules.

You will also be given real mission objectives, derived from patrol data, for the first time giving missions an interesting purpose, that is tightly integrated within the game world. There is no direct reward for fulfilling the objectives in terms of prestige points, other than what you make of it in your imagination, but I think it will reward you with much more interesting missions than vanilla SHIII.

The first time you use Sh3Gen please read my quickstart guide. The instructions might sound a bit complicated or daunting, but in fact it is very simple and logical, as you will notice if you have used it a few times.

See this thread for information about the Tracking Room Edition, which automatically creates detailed strategic maps for you:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=106314

You need DotNET Framework to run this software. I offer working versions for both .NET 1.1 and 2.0. Ignore everything you might read about lack of .NET 2.0 compatibility, while I am updating the documentation.

Thanks to all people involved, especially: Brad Golding, Hans Abbadon, Georg Unterberg. My thanks also go to Jaeson Jones, bigboywooly and the GWX crew for their support.

Last edited by GlobalExplorer; 09-14-09 at 04:11 PM. Reason: updated version
GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote