View Single Post
Old 06-24-18, 06:05 AM   #40
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Lucky indeed, you do not recognise this team that had 5 or 6 world champions on the green, and the rest all Confed cup winners.

A penalty for Sweden was not given. A Swedish attacker was wrestled down by even two German players inside the zone.

Jim, with Germany maybe beating Korea by 1 goal difference, it still could be kicked out, depending on the Mexican's score against Sweden. To be safe, they need at least a 2 goal win. All four teams in this group still could reach the next round.

And the match yesterday was two-faced. Strong dominance until Rudy's nose got broken (?) and a Swedish counter attack - then the hesitation and fear suddenly was back for the remaining of the first half. And the defence is not stable, it wasn't throughout the match. They pressed in the second half again until the end, but the final efficiency was lacking.

I shiver when imagining what some of the other teams would have done with this team.

I do not take a Germany victory against Korea for granted. You cannot, after these matches so far.

Positive effect from the missing of Özil and Gündogan. But when Rudy was replaced by Gündogan, immediately the midfield became stale again, somewhat. I hope Rudy can be back, he is better.

My problem with Löw is that the has loyalties for some older players that by these players' playing efficiency in the national team since years is not justified anymore. And so it is one of the oldest teams that Germany has ever sent to a championship, I think I read it is the second-oldest German team ever. At this cup, I think I heard that just one team is older than the Germans. Philipp Lahm stepped back after the cup win 4 years ago. Very wise and foresighted.

Last edited by Skybird; 06-24-18 at 06:33 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote