View Single Post
Old 04-03-17, 12:40 PM   #17
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
That it has been recorded outside in controlled conditions is fascinating. I'm interested in learning more about this.
It is very difficult and thus doe snot get done often. In Germany, such exminatiosn are run by the Bundesanstalt für Emmissionsschutz (federal office for emmission protection), but the measuring and recording is very difficult and costs a lot of money - and most of the time the results are without much value. Often they also simply missed the time window when the hum appears.

Its threatening and somewhat intimdiating if you ride on bicycle through a city like mine at 4 a.m. on Sunday morning, no activty anywhere, everythign peaceful and silent - just this monstrous humming in the air like a threat from outer space, a cloud of sound laying over the city. Not pleasant.

If you are interested in this sound, you may want to google for the study they did in Taos, New Mexico, in I think 1988 or so. "Taos Hum" it is called. There are or have been many Hums: the Bristol Hum, the Zurich Hum and so forth, but that is misleading, since it is a truly global phenomenon.

Quote:
Side-note: In the ear tests I could hear everything quite clearly from the bottom to the top, but I found the rumble that begins around 25-30 Hz to be an awesome sound. Thanks for posting this.
That low rumbling is very silent, and hard to notice, I often am not even certain that it is there. But on other times I indeed am quite certain that there actually are these TWO sounds for sure: the 100Hz sound thta is loud and clear, and the 25-30Hz sound that only can be heard when anything else is silent. Then it sounds very threatening.

In the ear test I can hear everythign at the bottom end of 20Hz, up to almost 15 KHz, which for my age of 50 years means I still hear far above average and have ears of a below 40 year old.

Last edited by Skybird; 04-03-17 at 12:50 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote