View Single Post
Old 07-02-17, 06:36 AM   #79
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone307 View Post
Thank you, I will give these a try. I forgot about running as an admin.... If I remember correctly I had to do that on my windows 8.1 to get it to work right.

Here's hoping it works!
Hambone307, is your Operating System Windows 10? Is it 64 bit or 32 bit?

These are important questions because it opens up where we need to go next with your base computer setup......a setup you need to get correct before adding your Steam game to it (which is a special effort all by itself).

If its Windows 10, my next question is....Did you upgrade from an earlier Windows version to Windows 10, or did you use a brand new version of Windows 10 (out of the box sort of speak) on this computer?

The reason I'm asking this question is due to how Windows may be set up on your computer. As I've discovered, an "out of the box" Windows 10 prevents several older, behind the scenes, processes from running as they should. Processes that were critical to having this 10 year old game run as expected. Both DirectX and .NetFramework need to have the correct files/drivers to play the game...which they don't by default with a Windows 10 OS that is not an upgrade from a previous Windows version.

Both DirectX 12 and the latest .NetFramework editions within Windows 10 do not contain the proper drivers for running the game as expected. What's worse, neither have their capabilities to "enable" those older driver versions set properly within Windows 10. You have to go into the OS "Settings" to enable these older drivers once you download them from Microsoft.

I can't speak for an "upgraded" Windows 10 install....it MAY have the correct drivers brought along from the previous versions of Windows?!? I don't know, you need to check for yourself. What's important to know is you need to look to see what's "enabled" on your Windows 10 install, and bring it up to speed for an older game like SH4 to play as intended. That's where "Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install" will help you figure out what's your setup?

Sorry for the presently goofed up images on this thread now. PhotoBucket has decided to change policy towards "3rd party hosting" and demands me to pay $400.00 for continuing to keep my images on their site. A ransom I'll not pay after using their site for 13 years without breaking their recently changed policy.

I'll be fixing it soon.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 10-22-17 at 03:42 PM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote