View Single Post
Old 02-20-11, 01:01 PM   #9
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinik View Post
I agree with you the T34s were overrated they had terrible reliability problems and were very crude mechanically.I remember reading a book by a Soviet tanker in which he said that with the T34s the Soviet drivers always carried a wood mallet because the transmission was so hard to shift especially in cold weather that they had to hammer at it to make it shift...
Oh? Everything I heard about the T-34 is that it was highly reliable after the early 1941 models.

Either way, that's certainly better than the German tanks which had to be heated for hours before even functioning in cold weather, or the notoriously unreliable late-war German tanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinik View Post
Likewise the JS/IS2 was solid and produced in big numbers but very slow reload, limited ammo only 8 AP shells and its armour was of uneven quality and prone to crack and brittleness...Sov post war tanks were better.

Their SU 85 and 100 on the other hand were not bad....
Much of that is because it was designed as a breakthrough and infantry support tank. In fact a 100mm gun with better penetration and a higher rate of fire was considered for the IS-2 but was rejected in favour of the 122mm gun because that one had a much larger HE charge.