View Single Post
Old 11-18-16, 08:20 AM   #13
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Good point and your probably right but there's a little money involved here as well. The sub is moored directly behind the SS Jeremiah O'brien Liberty Ship; creating a lucrative 1-2 punch for enthusiasts to tour both: at $20 a head...each along famed Fisherman's Wharf. With proper reserve funds for a refit every 7-10 years and the more than adequate drydock facilities of the Bay Area it's $till a better arrangement and in a proper setting. It opened for tours in 1982 and attracts more than 100,000 (U do the mathematic$!!?) visitors a year. This is its fifth time in dry-dock, and this visit finally happened after $200,000 was secured in a National Maritime Heritage Grant. The funds come from scrap metal sales as ships in the Mothball Fleet in Suisun Bay are dismantled. Considering they're sanding the sanitary tank and replacing the torpedo gaskets for the first time...it's a happy ship. <Said Suisun Mothball fleet, just 50 miles NE, over my boat's stowed whisker-pole: Down to about eight ships now. The vessels' old lead-based flaking rust & hull-paint has created a decades-old considerable toxic-environmental mess; so the demise of old cargo ships is not a bad thing, in addition to helping preserve the USS Pampanito.
That's what I was looking for ... I thought it was higher up into the Sacramento area. I saw a vision of these ships being scrapped in a floating dry dock, but now I see there are not that many left.

I wanted to build a shipyard right there on that same spot to build a new type of ship that would be so secret that no one could enter the ship yard unless they worked there. No roads in, no highway, perhaps a helio pad, but all supplies and workers would come from affair by barges and supply vessels and ferry's for the workers, because there would be no where to go eat the ship yard would supply all meals.

What to build that would be so top secret? Submarine tenders of the future full of submarine drones.

Darn now it's no secret: https://static.vesselfinder.net/imag...cc0ab35398.jpg
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote