View Single Post
Old 01-02-13, 04:24 PM   #3
the_tyrant
Admiral

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

What the hell do you expect? Major organizations like my school board are still rolling out windows 7 (and to think the guys in the graphics design class were still using vista until this 2013......)

And if we really want to debate, in the same article where Fujitsu complained, about bad PC sales (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...pe-slumps.html) Michael Dell was very happy:

Quote:
Dell Inc. (DELL), the world’s third-largest PC maker, said Dec. 12 it’s seeing strong demand for computers and tablets running Windows 8. Interest in the operating system is “quite high,” Dell Chief Executive Officer Michael Dell said at a conference in Austin, Texas.

1.7% is a pretty healthy number for a new Operating system that has just been released for 2 months, arguably doing better than Xp and Vista did 1-3 months after release. Windows 7 was an oddball, because Windows Vista was bad, that is why they got so many upgrades. But than, windows 7 was good, so why would people rush to upgrade?

In fact, in December, Microsoft is doing GREAT! they managed to attack OS X's market share, reducing it by 3%. (OS X originally had 7.3%, now they have 7.03%)

The Windows Store (something that people like Newell predicted will fail) is on a roll, around 40000 Metro applications have been released. Already arguably higher than the number of Tablet optimized android programs.

I am willing to predict that by the end of 2013, Windows 8 is going to have 15% +.

PS: regarding fujitsu:
I am a highly satisfied customer, been using their stuff since Windows XP tablet edition. However, their windows 8 portfolio is a joke. The fact that they are blaming windows 8 for their poor market performance is a joke.

Hell, they are still trying to sell tablets with windows 7 on it! How can they blame windows 8 when THEY HAVE NO WINDOWS 8 DEVICES? I was on the Fujitsu Canada site earlier, they released not a single new windows 8 computer! Every one of their designs were for windows 7, and almost every single one of they allowed you to choose between the two versions of windows. In fact, I can even argue that their poor performance is because of windows 8.

If we look at the 3 biggest improvements of windows 8 for non touchscreen mainstream users, (hi DPI support, multitouch touchpad support, new sleep mode/battery management). Fujitsu only has computers taking advantage of one of them.

Their flagship still uses a low res screen, their touchpads still feel like they are from the vista era. Compared to the competition (the Dell XPS 12 has a beautiful screen, the Lenovo Thinkpad Carbon X1 has a great touchpad), its no wonder that they are seriously lagging behind.