View Single Post
Old 10-06-14, 07:18 PM   #2
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Welcome to Subsim, FrankTheTank586. Happy to have you aboard.

Had an occurrence similar to yours, that happened in late '43 in the Luzon Straits. The weather was terrible, heavy rain, fog and heavy seas. It was late night, radar picked up 8 ships heading SW at 18 knots. Radar range was about 12,000 yds. Started tracking the ships and when they reached about 6,500 yds, I went to radar depth and continued tracking. With the high seas it was difficult at times to maintain contact. When the ships were picked up by sonar, we went to periscope depth. By this time the rain had lessened and the fog was intermittent. Making frequent periscope observations and at 2/3rds speed we headed in towards the ships. At about 2,500 yds a destroyer was spotted dead ahead. A couple of minutes later a BB loomed out of the fog followed by a CA. I was only able to get infrequent fixes on the two ships because of the shifting fog. At 1,800 yds and getting a good observation through the fog we fired all bow tubes at three second intervals. Reversing course to bring the stern tubes to bear and being able to get a good observation through the shifting fog again, all stern tubes were fired at the heavy cruiser. A couple of minutes later four timed explosions were heard hitting the BB. Looking through the periscope I was able to see the explosions rocking the BB through the fog. Then sound reported that there were hits on the cruiser and then we could hear the explosions, but were unable to see the results. At this time sound reported high speed screw heading our way. We crashed-dived to 350 feet and took a couple of close DCs, but took no serious damage. We could hear breaking up noises from the BB, but nothing from the cruiser.

A number of hours after the task force had cleared the area and the DDs got tired of searching for us, we came back up to PD to take a look around. Much to our surprise we spotted the cruiser 5,000 yds off our port beam and dead in the water listing very badly to port. We moved in for the kill and fired our last two bow tubes at the cruiser. I forgot to mention that the fog had lifted in the last couple of hours while we were avoiding the DDs. We id'ed the cruiser as Takao class. Later on I found out that the BB was Nagato class.

That was a fun encounter to say the least.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote