View Single Post
Old 06-06-07, 09:26 AM   #61
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

The KM Kaleuns had for that a table printed in paper, I have done one for SH3 and I'm thinking about making a mod for replacing the pull-down map in SH3 GWX or NYGM with it. Since the german U-Boot crews had no "tracking party", everything was done "on the fly" by two persons, the one directing fire and observation (IWO on the UZO when surfaced or Kaleun on the scope when submerged) and TDC operator. The first one gave all data he could observe or calculate directly, the second one did the calculations with wiz-wheels and tables and fed the TDC with the results.
The table I have prepared (Never seen a real one, but based on all info I have gathered by now) represents 3000x3000 metres in 36 squares (6x6), with the U-Boot down-left and the target up-left. The idea is to steer the U-Boot so that the enemy stays constant at 90 or 270 degree bearing, and make two observations. When you do the second one, you go in th square right from the U-Boot as much as it has advanced (There is another graded scale below for indicating distance travelled at 1, 3,5 and 7 knots), then down from the top as much as the enemy vessel closed in, and that gives you a point on the square. Since it has also graduated scale representing the AOB of the target, you just read the AOB in the line your determined point is intersecting. No need to plot or draw anything on the chart

Once you have the AOB, you simply use a slide ruler and determine instantly the enemy speed by taking your own speed and target AOB into account.