View Single Post
Old 01-19-18, 11:43 AM   #6
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgatkinson View Post
Hi, I am reacquainting myself with sub sims after quite some time. On reviewing my SH2 files I have come across a Pacific Aces mod (I suspect obtained via SUBSIM several years ago) the readme of which contains the following...

"B) Users of Subsimīs official package:

First make a clean install of SH2, and rename the folder to “Pacific Aces” or whatever name you prefer.
-Install the official 1.1 patch
-If you wish, you can now install Vickerīs mods ( PA does not provide this)
-Install subsimīs 1024 res mod
-If you wish, you can now install Projekt Messerswetzer ( PA does not provide this)
-Install the Pacific Aces mod from the executable utility, pointing to your “Pacific Aces” folder"

Of particular interest is the reference to 'subsim's 1024 res mod' which I cannot find on my disc or, after a brief search, here on subsim.com.

Can anyone please advise if the 1024 res is still available and, if so, where and also if the Pacific Aces mod is still available. My download is suffixed RC4. I was wondering if there was a newer version.

Cheers,

Taff
Welcome, You don't need the high-res patch in PA if you use the procedure I use, it has to do with Project Messerwetzer, which I highly recommend you install because it prevents many Janus errors.

I also recommend installing Kriegstanz and the KD.

Here is the install order I use:
I install to: C:\GAMES\SSI\Pacific Aces. Win 7 doesn't get GAMES confused with its 'Games' folder.

PA seems to need Project Messerwetzer, (to prevent Janus errors).
After realizing that, I did a complete uninstall of PA and SH2 and did a clean re-install of everything in this order:

1. Clean Install of SH2, and rename the folder to 'Pacific Aces' or whatever name you want.
2. Install the official SH2 Patch 1.1
3. Install Vicker's mods: Vickers Oil Slicks and Vickers Fireball Add-on
4. Install Project Messerwetzer to avoid some Janus errors
5. Install PA 1.0, pointing to your 'Pacific Aces' folder. <---- Very important
6. Install PA patch 1.1
7. Install new PA Sound 1.1
8. Install the Glitch fix patch that includes optional dive bubble for Project Messerwetzer
9. Lethal radius mod (used 5 DepthChargeJP*.ADF files)
10. Active sonar hack ... edited the 10 SonarActive, SonaractiveUS, SonaractiveJapan, etc... files.

This install order has worked since PA was released on every Windows operating system I've had up to and including Win 7 64 bit.
-----------------
I do run Kriegstanz to start PA..... kind of like a shell for PA, plus you can create missions with KD and play missions created by other players. cdrsubron7 has written many nice missions for 'almost' every Silent Hunter version I know about: SHCE SH1, SH2, PA, and SH4 ..... maybe SH 3 & 5 too?
Kriegstanz installs to the same \GAMES folder you created to install SH2 & PA:
C:\GAMES\Kriegstanz

If you want both PA and SH2:
Quote:
1) Rename your "Silent Hunter II" install to something else, say "My SHII" or "U-boat".

2) Insert the disc, and select "Uninstall Silent Hunter II". Since the folder has a new name, the only thing that is uninstalled will be the path from the disc to the folder. (nothing is removed, only reg keys)

3) Select "Install Silent Hunter II". Now you will have two installs. You can rename the new one "Pacific Aces" and re-rename the original "Silent Hunter II". Or not, because the name on the folder really doesn't matter.
I zipped both SH2 & PA. The reg key is set already so if my install ever gets corrupted I can easily unzip or un-rar clean installs.

-----------------
Note: For others reading this, these mods should be available in the Bonus Mods section for those who contribute to Subsim. If they aren't, I have them and if it is OK with the powers that be around here, I can upload them.

Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

Last edited by aanker; 01-20-18 at 10:38 AM.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote