View Single Post
Old 03-30-17, 11:41 AM   #50
DicheBach
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesn9 View Post
Hogan's Alley is slang for After battery.
Ah cool beans.

So I got an S-18 that is out on patrol on my career and my last save had a KMCSHansa coming in to attack range. Easy spot to test from I guess. Only thing is, not enough space to put all the deck watch below decks but I guess enough to put some below decks.

So lets see here, we have a couple of hypotheses here:

1. damage to deck gun vicinity of sub while submerged with deck gun crew in deck gun crew slots = harm to deck gun crew. Easy falsification premise for that.

2. damage to deck watch vicinity of sub while submerged with deck watch crew in deck watch slots = harm to deck watch crew. Also easy enough to falsify.

No AA gun on that ship so cannot test that, but if the deck gun crew is getting hurt then I think it stands to reason the same thing will happen with the AA gun crew.

One last thing to consider, but I doubt it is a real issue:

3. damage to upper hull / deck vicinity of sub while submerged with damage control crew in damage control slots = harm to damage control team.

So I'll surface within about 1500 yards of the Hansa, draw his fire for a couple shots, then submerge to radar depth or slightly less deep and see what happens. Rinse repeat with crew in different constellations (i.e., moving a few guys into/out of the deck watch and deck gun slots and also the damage control if I see them take damage.).

ADDIT: prelimnary findings.

Method:

S-18 boat just north of Rabaul harbor, a save file from an ongoing career play up to early summer 42. I had spotted a lone merchant coming north from Rabaul just before I signed off last night. Interesting thing is: it seems to respawn as a slightly different class of ship when you reload from the save file. Last night it was a KMCSHansa, and today it has spawned at least once as an M3SHansa.

The distance at the actual career save is in the 15,000 ft ballpark (not sure why the deck watch officer reports visual contacts in feet . . .) but apparently that is too far for those drunken freighter crewmen to spot a sub.

I move toward the from their port bow approaching at about a 35-degree AOB. When I get to about 6000 feet I initiate a drive to Radar Depth. He still has not opened fire and apparently not even noticed me (I had to experiment with this a few times to get the desired effect, namely, he doesn't notice me and start firing until AFTER I'm at radar depth).

At 984 feet, I'm now past his midships port side, and moving behind him still at about the same angle. I haven't fired any shots. All but three of my deck watch crew are in their slots and one of the deck gun crew, the other four are in the "Crew Berth."

Once I fiddled with this a few times I realized, the trick is to get close enough that he starts shooting AFTER the ship is already at radar depth, and then to let him shoot ONLY until he causes damage. Pause and see where the damage is, make note, un-pause very briefly to see which crew are injured, pause again. Test over. Repeat. This is necessary because, if you let it keep running, it quickly becomes impossible to "correlate" damage that has been done to a particular section of the sub with harm to crew men. But it isn't too bad. He generally hits within 30 seconds of opening fire and reloading the save only takes a minute or so (btw, I have the save if anyone wants to try it themselves, though not sure which files have to be exchanged).

I've only run about 6 or 7 runs of the experiment.

Two or three were inconclusive, either because I didn't pause it soon enough, or I provoked him to open fire too soon (before I was at radar depth) and thus had sufered damage before the sub was mostly submerged. So out of that, only about 5 are truly valid tests.

Two of those were inconclusive because he got no hits within a minute or so of shooting at me, so I suspended the test. Here are the results of the three meaningful experiments:

Test; Compartment damaged; crew harmed

1. Control Room / control, sensor, damage control, deck gun
2. Engine Room / no one
3. Deck Watch Compartment / deck watch crew

Deck watch crew hurt

Deck Watch "compartment" damaged

So that is only a sample size of one, but it does suggest that:

Even when the sub is submerged, damage caused to the upper works of the ship (the deck watch "compartment" and devices there) causes (or has at least the potential to cause) harm to the deck watch crew.

Tiny sample size, and there are a lot of assumptions that are questionable, but on the whole: suggestive that my anecdotal observation is correct. Deck watch crew are NOT treated as being in an "interior" part of the ship while the ship is submerged and consequently they can be hurt when the ship suffers damage to the deck watch compartment.

Last edited by DicheBach; 03-30-17 at 12:31 PM.
DicheBach is offline   Reply With Quote