View Single Post
Old 01-07-17, 06:32 PM   #13
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Linux and Silent Hunter, that is a hobby of Rocking Robbins, you better ask him: a.) he knows Linux better than I do, and b.) he has a thread in here describing how he has set up Silent Hunter and Linux.

Not all is possible regarding gaming and Linux, but much more than just years ago. And there is always the optionj to go with a Virtual Machine Windows running under Linux - an option I sympathised with some time ago, but still have not further examined. With age comes laziness...
Unfortunately I don't know anything about SH5.

I elected not to buy any more Ubi games after the initial SH5 debacle when it was clear that Ubi's vision was not simulation but soap opera, where the contents of the cook's soup was a focal point of the game. That and the log on or don't play thing. Didn't like their resumption of the SecuROM debacle after totally eliminating in in v1.3 of SH4 either.

I'm not interested in playing U-boats in a partial war in the Atlantic either. So I know zero about getting Silent Hunter 5 in Linux. I'll use my connections over at WineHQ to find out what I can. I'm the maintainer of their Silent Hunter 4 section so I should be able to find out whether SH5 works under WINE.

Like Skybird says, the alternative would be in a virtual machine running Windows cradled safely in the arms of Linux so it can't hurt anybody!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote