View Single Post
Old 01-19-06, 09:05 PM   #13
Kazuaki Shimazaki II
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuftWolf
I was originally going to make separate sonars for the Kilo and Kilo Imp but then stopped because of a lack of a way to reasonably estimate the differences in the sonars, as well as the fact that while it is rumored they are upgraded, the MK-400 (I think) is listed for both in any source I came across.
Early Soviet nukes used the MGK-200. By the time of the Victors they were to the -300, which they claim is superior to the BQQ-2. Then there is the MGK-400, which is used in the Kilos. Some sources claim the Victor-III used the MGK-400 as well, while others claim the MGK-500 series. I suppose they might have used the -400 for a few of the early ones until the -500s (Typhoons, Delta IVs, Sierra, Akula, Oscar) came in.

The fire control system in that one is apparently a MVU-110EM, which tracks 2 targets automatically, which is roughly what you see in the game Kilo.

The newer ones (EKM, 636) use the -400EM. It is the same size, but apparently includes better tranducers and all new computers and displays that among other things can track 12 targets automatically. The only info I have says it is about 2.5 times the sensitivity (see previous post). So it is not necessarily an easy upgrade for user nations - let alone Russia, who is lucky to keep its subs running.

BTW, if I do want to make a differentiation and assume the EM is 2.5 times more sensitive (there's no way to get it to track more targets short of massive code hacking) than the base version, am I correct to set the Nrd difference to "2".
Kazuaki Shimazaki II is offline   Reply With Quote