View Single Post
Old 03-26-14, 05:20 PM   #8
NavyUSA
Watch

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
I don't in SC or DW really. Back in the beginning I made bearing history charts to plot it. But lost interest in this arduous task. Also, I didn't really know how to use this plot effectively.

Then some years ago I figured out I could used the TMA ruler to estimate the fraction of a bearing to a 10th degree by setting the course of the TMA ruler to the degree before and after the bearing line, and then measuring/eyeballing the ruler-tip distance to the bearing line. This provides much better accuracy than the 1 degree resolution of the bearing readouts. But is still quite arduous, and not very useful in tense combat situations. It takes too much time for me to be comfortable.
It is easier to calculate the angle between two bearing (in LAG los)with the pocket calculator :
angle = arctan((So*2/60)/(length segment bearing from ownship and the intersection point))
Br= angle/2 [DEG/min] ''always approximated for defect''

Quote:
So, I still just fumble around trying to get the ruler to lineup with the bearings after enough zig-zags. Just like everyone else, with only a faint idea of what I'm supposed to do with the TMA dotstack. I still let the Auto-TMA do most of the work also. In other words, I suck at it.
Zig-zags method is useful when target is very far. Allen Schrader in his video show a TMA solution of one target (civil) at range 35 nm. In this situation there is insufficient relative motion between the two platforms and is necessary to move along three/four legs (LAG and LEAD) with 4/5 bearings for leg, exactly Zig-zags.
So, this is a unusual scenery. Method inefficient for target range less then 11 nm (probable scenery).

Quote:
In SH3 and SH4 though, I rely much more on the graphical methods of determining course and speed based on bearing alone. (search subsim for 3 bearing and 4 bearing method) And my self-created 3-bearing AOB finder sliderule disk. Unfortunately the drawing tools in SC and DW leave much to be desired to be able to do this effectively in the game. (no ability to plot lines on the map, only during mission editing)
Plotting Procedures in Dangerous waters aren't necessary, but certainly in the Second World War
NavyUSA is offline   Reply With Quote