View Single Post
Old 10-31-14, 08:27 PM   #15
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiebler View Post
I've been asked by Makman94 to look at this thread.

I wish to point out that the standard advice for Royal Navy warships was to keep active sonar (pinging) and active radar on at all times while at sea. That was the recommendation (but not an order) in 1945, I read it in a contemporary Royal Navy magazine - for sailors' eyes only. Some serving British sailors had asked whether it was wise to keep pinging and using radar, in good weather, when the U-boats could hear the pings a long way off, and the U-boats were fitted with radar detectors.

The magazine's argument was that use of eyes and hydrophones to pick up U-boats might not be effective, but the sound of pinging and radar detection would force the U-boat to run away or dive deep quickly. It is true that in 1945 most of the U-boats were deployed in shallow waters around Britain's coast - the magazine's recommendation was a scarecrow tactic.

I see no reason to make the hard-code changes outlined in previous posts, although doubtless it is possible. It would take a long time to find the necessary code, though.

Stiebler.
hello Stiebler,

yes, there was this question floating around as how the real sonar devices worked.
according to the magazine ,we have one clue now that the sonars ,indead, were working 24/7,
so yes, there is nothing to be 'fixed' here,devs made it the right way.

thank you for the interesting input !

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote