View Single Post
Old 02-08-10, 05:19 PM   #200
DaveR
A-ganger

Downloads: 190
Uploads: 0

I posted this under RSRDC because some one else was having a simular problem:

"
history: under rfb1.52 (and RSRDC), i had, occasionally, couldn't load a saved game. Very occasionally, when torpedeo hit, would have ctd.
(but would) restart the mission and no problems, would (just) sink the target.
now, under rfb2, the unable to load 'saved game', over the time of restarting 3 patrols, got worse to the point that none of the 'in game' saved
games will 'directly' load, with out ctd. what do i mean by 'in game' and 'directly'? i found that if i loaded the 'autosaved..leaving..port..'
file, then start the mission and then once at sea, if i load the 'saved game', it would run.
this indirect loading, has worked every time.
For the first patrol, i sunk 4 merchants. started second patrol, sunk a merchant, then on second merchant, so far, with several trys (at least
8), when a torpedoe hits (mk10 or 14), i get ctd.
Vista pro64 sp1
Nautilus out of Pearl
14 April 42
11d 22' 13d1', off Camran bay
"
getting no comments, i'm reposting here, with an update.

started new campaign in a tambor class, out of pearl, during april 42.
first patrol was in south china sea and managed to sink 6 merchants and had no file loading problems or ctds.
'however', the very last tranport, (end of may, china sea) took a torpedeo directly in the stern. it most likely was the rudder, because when
i viewed it with the outside camera, there was no visable stern damage overlay, but the rudder and props were gone. the transport, though,
kept going on at 7 knots. with slightly rough seas, the stern would lift out and still get the feather wash effect. when i surfaced 2k off
its beam, it turned away. after target practicing awhile, i decided to retry the encounter. i closed the exact same way as before and again
fired a 3 torp spread. not surprizingly, all 3 hit. but it went dud, dud, boom and the boom was again in the stern. this time, visual
inspection showed that there was exstensive damage at the stern and again no rudder or props. again it maintained 7 knots. however, this time
when i surfaced, it kept going straight. it finally sunk about an 2 hours later after about 30 3" shells, on a straight course. to me,
this was more than odd because i have never seen a ship continue if the props were gone (or stopped). running low on fuel and torps i decided
to end the patrol. refueled at midway. when i got the 'end mission' window at pearl and clicked on it, and got ctd. i tried docking
4 or 5 times, i even saved so i'm reloading the game outside of pearl and there were no file loading problems. i went back to gsme, where i
had also loaded 4 or 5 other mods behind RFB and RSRDC. i unloaded those files leaving just the 4 RFB/RSRDC. that worked. went back and started putting back the mods i liked, until one caused the problem (i'm at work, so don't remember which one).

leaving the trouble some mod out, i started second patrol, pulling the patrol site, 200 miles south/west of tokyo. 3 weeks into the patrol,
with speed set at 2/3 and x1024 game speed. i'm casually looking back and forth from tv and computer screen when, suddenly, it occured to me, the dot is not moving. checked game speed was at still x1024, set speed stil 2/3, but then noticed that the speed display say's '0kts'.
hit stop, back to 1/3, up to 2/3, flank, still at '0kts' (and x1024). jump to outside camera. ships is in a typhoon. 'but' setting
on the stern of the sub is this... this... glowing ufo(?). it is made up of these 'large' 'square' 'colored' 'blocks'. it is round
(as round as square blocks can make it) and it glows, lighting up the stern and surrounding water, except, where it is setting right at the
tip of the stern, i.e. can't see the stern pole. i switch to the bridge to see if it looks any different. but no. however, the lookouts have
rain gear on and the rain gear was 'glowing' (rain reflection?). i saved the game and then backed out of the game completely and restarted. if you
haven't guessed it, no, the file will not load. i removed all the other mods, except for the 4 RFB/RSDC files, no difference, will not load.

i haven't gone back to see if i can indirectly load the game as i had done before because i have given up.

i plan on getting sh5 and only hope their developers have learned some lessons from the aw-some work the RFB, RSRDC, other mod teams and modders have done.

happy hunting
DaveR is offline   Reply With Quote