View Single Post
Old 02-11-14, 02:16 PM   #7
Sephiroth
Seaman

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Flash is being phased out. Adobe announced it a year or two ago. Currently only the PC platform is left. They already phased it out on Android, iPhone, and some other platforms. I am following this closely as the lead IT guy at my business since it can affect my clients in a major way. I believe they keep extending the desktop life of Flash due to sites like YouTube. It reminds me of NT4 and how long it was extended.

UPlay, Steam, and Origin suck. Big examples of why include being required to be online to play games like Skyrim, which are single player, forcing installs from online instead of the disc you bought (do it on dial-up, I dare you!), invasive technologies that scan your data and send it out (do not argue here, I did packet-captures and caught Steam sending out all kinds of crap, such as contacts in my Thunderbird address book), and the fact that you pay $50 for a digital copy or $50 at a store for an actual box and disc. Not only that, but what happens if these services go away one day? I can still play Silent Hunter (DOS) using DOSBox. How would you play anything dependent upon one of these services, whether it was for authentication or online play?

There are many more reasons, but I do not want to start a flame war. [Edited by Herr-Berbunch, user PM'd]

Last edited by Herr-Berbunch; 06-16-14 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Removed last couple of sentences mentioning illicit action.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote