View Single Post
Old 07-12-17, 12:28 AM   #1
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default Strange Norwegian war hero:

In editing a missing photo of Reinhard Hardegan in one of my earlier posts, the last surviving WWII U boat ace (age 104! ) I came across this gem: https://www.norwegianamerican.com/featured/a-tale-of-two-mariners-on-the-mercy-of-some-u-boat-captains/
Quote:
Last January, the Norwegian Defense Department invited the public to suggest the names of previously unknown World War II heroes, with an eye to their being officially recognized. By early May, more than 400 suggestions had been received. In an article on that total, Aftenposten published illustrated summaries of the outstanding six suggestions. Among them was German U-boat captain Reinhard Hardegen, who was credited with saving Norwegian war sailors and others from death at sea.
Historien om Hardegen er interessant, og den er et godt eksempel på at krigshistorien ikke alltid er svart-hvit. Vi anser det imidlertid som svært lite sannsynlig at det vil bli tildelt en norsk krigsdekorasjon til en person som tjenestegjorde for fiendens væpnede styrker.» Translation....not likely
Quote:
The story of Hardegen is interesting, and it is a good example of the war history is not always black and white. We consider, however, that very unlikely that it will be awarded a Norwegian war decoration to a person who served for the enemy's armed forces.
The Ol' Drumbeater will manage nicely with his Knight's Cross et al!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 07-12-17 at 01:00 AM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote