CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP
My bets for this right now would be on "Merlin" which is owned by Shockwave, who inherited it from Rowan's BoB (and made BoB 2), and is presently being used and updated - allegedly both by Shockwave and another new developer - to make new sims. :hmm:
Aye, that one came to my mind the first too. Shockwave supports pretty openly modders and give few selected one's "inside info", like the BDG group for BoBII that has taken the control over on patching the game further from Shockwave. That would actually be pretty great engine for an WWII flightsim.
Yea, personally I'd be surprised if it's something else. As far as I'm aware, Shockwave is actually quite happy to license out Merlin and they probably would not charge a terrible lot for it, seeing how they themselves are in the same market niche. And there isn't really any other engines going around that would work very well for it either. I doubt they would be going for either IL-2 or any of its successors/derivatives since Knights of the Sky is already covering that route. Third Wire have already done their own WWI game, their engine isn't complex enough for something like OFF either. And there isn't really any other engines on the market that I'm aware of.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote