Thread: [WIP] Lighthouses mod
View Single Post
Old 09-11-17, 09:50 AM   #627
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Yesterday I found on Pinterest this beautiful construction plan of the 1839 Sein lighthouse, the one destroyed by the Germans in 1944 (click to enlarge):

This lighthouse was not among our top priorities, but I couldn't help but model it:

The model includes fully modelled lantern house interior, with a realistic representation of a Frensnel lens visible through the glasses. Everything is in scale*, including the Fresnel lens**

* as you can read from the plan, the lighthouse was 43.46 m high, from the soil level to the focal plane

** going by the lighthouse range, I assumed its optic to be a 1st order lens.

I will admit that model's poly count is a bit too high, so some downsampling might be required, especially for the gallery railing and for lantern room's framework. Other than that, some optional 3d jobs that I might decide to do on the model are:
  • modelling the keeper house and the two radio-beacon metal towers built in the same site in 1935 (you can see them in one of the pictures below).
  • Any small corrections that might become necessary aftre comparing the model with historical pictures.
  • Splitting the model for damage simulation (I will do that after UV-mappi
ng)

Those are all the original pictures I have found so far:

Let me know if you find any other photographs/drawings
gap is offline   Reply With Quote