View Single Post
Old 02-12-11, 12:37 AM   #20
Obersteuermann
Shore leave

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0

Seeing as you're getting latched onto by elite destroyers all the time, whereabouts do you normally operate? I've lost count of the number of times my careers have ended within 300kms NW of Scotland. The game just loves vectoring infallible V&Ws/Black Swans onto me in that area.

Like Pisces says, take your boat down for a test dive somewhere safe before you get into hostile waters. I usually go for the Norwegian side of the Skagerrak (can't be bothered with the Kiel Canal - it's so narrow/shallow that I rarely get above TC16 while navigating it) whilst outbound. In a Type VII, take her straight down to 160 metres and then down again in 10-metre steps to find your danger depth.

You'll be surprised just how deep you can push it sometimes. My last VIIB got down to 255 metres before the pressure hull started leaking, but that was with SH3 Cdr's "randomise crush depth" setting ticked.

As for your evasion tactics - always, always, always keep moving. If you were tracking a target that stopped dead, you wouldn't lose it all of a sudden! Gentle turns of 15-20 degrees at decently-spaced intervals work best for breaking asdic contacts. The AI will remember your last location and direction of travel and pings the area based on that info when it loses you. Lots of gentle turns are better than one long reversal.
Obersteuermann is offline   Reply With Quote