View Single Post
Old 04-16-19, 09:02 AM   #27
AKD
Watch

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hjalfnar View Post
Hm, I don't know...I like it. The mission begins BEFORE the beginning of hostilities between the United Kingdom and Germany. Also, the ship has run aground according to the tutorial description, so it does not lie in deep in the water. If the German Abwehr knows there was something valuable aboard, I think it is absolutely fine to send out a small submarine that most likely nobody would be able to properly identify in the dark of night and try to salvage SOMETHING.
The mission begins on Sept 3 and continues into the night, therefore after the start of hostilities. The ship is described as having been sunk due to "sabotage" (huh?) and you clearly find the location in the middle of the North Sea...at night...in a storm...

Devs need to decide if tone of game is Kelly's Heroes or Das Boot. I'm getting a distinct sense of split personality from recent vids.

Anyways, real history can be just as dramatic, e.g.:

Quote:
At 21.08 hours on 30 Sep 1939 the neutral Gun (Master J.M. Persson) was stopped by U-3 about 30 miles northwest of Hanstholm. The master came aboard with the papers of the ship, which showed that she was carrying contraband. While the Germans interviewed the master, the vessel suddenly began moving and turned towards the U-boat. Warned by a similar behavior of Vendia earlier that day, U-3 evaded quickly and sent a boarding party of four men, led by WO Lt. Fraatz, aboard at 22.00 hours. Shortly thereafter the U-boat had to dive when a vessel was sighted heading for the stopped ship, this proved to be HMS Thistle (N 24) (LtCdr R.W. Stirling-Hamilton, RN) which was attacked with one G7a torpedo at 22.56 hours. The torpedo missed and the submarine dived shortly afterwards, although they were not aware of the attack. The submerged HMS Thistle passed under the stern of the steamer, not knowing that Germans were aboard and prepared the ship for scuttling. The submarine surfaced after one hour and left the area, encountering the lifeboat with the Swedish crew. They told them to return to their ship as she was still afloat, but in the meantime the seacocks had been opened and scuttling charges were placed. The boarding party left the Gun in one of her lifeboats and were picked up by the Danish steam merchant Dagmar along with the Swedish survivors. At 05.30 hours, U-3 stopped this steamer to take off the boarding party and then went to the drifting Gun to sink her by a torpedo at 09.10 hours.
AKD is offline   Reply With Quote