View Single Post
Old 10-23-18, 08:00 AM   #6663
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark bonamer View Post
i have noticed that in some mega mods the External Camera has different features/qualities.

for example, i am playing TMO+RSRD and when i am viewing the External Camera and press either left or right arrow, the POV rotates on a point somewhere on my sub (let's say the foreward hawse pipe). so, when i pressed <> the display would move away from the ship being viewed and show what was either in front or in back of the ship i was originally viewing. AND, when i change views and then return to the External Camera, wherever i was looking, i am still look there. no reset of view.

when i played OpMonsun last month, that same key combo rotated the POV around the ship being displayed such that i could see all sides.

the keystrokes in Command.CFG are exactly the same so.........what is different?

thanks, pal.

The "Command.cfg" is where you "map" the keyboard keys to a specific function. The "Camera.dat" file is where you set the parameters for the various camera's in question. That's where I realized the External camera was set as the Stock game usually does......having the camera stationary in it's position.

The stock game did this for a simple reason, to keep players from seeing the flaws in-game. For example, the stock game didn't allow for "free" movement in the Command Room. The reason, some of the gauges are displayed incorrectly (the dials image is wacky.....it's not a dial at all!!). Players didn't notice this because you could only "rotate" in a circular stationary point in the Command room. When we started to give "free" movement to the room, allowing you to get close to the modeled features, this gave rise to the need to "fix" the gauges too. To not only have them look correct, but to actually have them function as they should (mouse click on the depth dial and the sub takes you to that depth setting).

Not all keyboards are alike, some have a "Number Key Pad", some don't. Some have extended "Function" keys....greater than F12, some don't. In some, there's an "F Lock" key (disables the "Function Keys), much like the "Num Lock" key that does the same thing. I've noticed that the Num Lock key will prevent some of the Key Pad functions from occurring, yet other Key Pad keys change in what they do?!? The point is to try all the different ways to use the "Extra" keys to see what they do. What one player see's as a way to do something with the camera (since it uses these "Extra" keys), may not be what another player can do.....because not all keyboards are exactly the same in style and function.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote