View Single Post
Old 10-27-07, 05:43 AM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Uhh. Does that mean you cannot gun them down then, when they fire from the window ?

You can. Sniper them. Grenade them. Missile them. MG them. Cannon them. Artillerize them. Roll into that house and crush it to flatten pieces. Whatever you pleases. You just need to know they are there without loosing tanks first.

Heavy you mean something like MG3 ?

If that is rated as heavy, yes. Or like the M60.

No I want to leave the squad where it is and move the IFV but when the IFV is a certain distance away from the squad, it holds on and the squad is running back to the IFV without me ordering it.

Maybe it was with SB1 like that, do not remember. It is no more like that in SBP.

Is that true that in SB2 the maps will be smaller again ?

No details on SB2 yet. There were some hot debates in recent days about the price model and delivery model for future upgrades that will no onger differ between patches (=repairing old stuff) and addons (=adding new content). eSim made it clear in words that if they cannot sell that ddon to the community and the latter rjecting to accept the model, they must conclude they will no longer have a civilian market. While I am pretty much sure that SBP-PE will con tinue to be worked on for the next couple of years, I am no longer 100% certain there will ever be an SB2. But this is my personal conclusions, and in no way is backed by eSim. But SB2 is several years away, of this I'm sure. Their developement ressources are very stretched already.

I know but i want to simulate some marches as well and also an territorial in-depth war where the front line is maybe dissolved already and scattered units are all around. Some gunships would be good then to stop some enemy units that break through.

This is no war simulator, and although you could set up scenarios on batallion and even brigade size, best scope remained is on platoon and company level. Having to micromanage a battle on brigade level is no fun. Also, it is pretty soon over, and would need a madness of mission designing. However, you could do as I did. I set up a series of three missions on the same, slightly shifted map, taking over wrecks from likely casualty psoitons into the next one, and create a static mini-campaign. I had one recce patrol in the beginning, then a larger fight for recconnaissance with highly randomoized enemy positions, and finally a big enemy counter-attack (which still is not finished). There are quite some campaigns like this available. But again, this is no war simulator. You have false expecations here and thus must necessarily become dissappointed, probably.

Also, take into account there is no save game function. Having people to play 6 or 8 hours in a row is not funny.

That reminds me on something. As far as I can see rearm and repair can be done now in the field too right ?

Yes. As long as the damage is not too substantial, and needed components can be expected to be available in the field, not just at bases. certain light components also cannot be repaired for the latter reason, and/or if the real repairing time would exceed several hours. In the new upgrade, you can even tow wrecked vehicles. But that needs being done manually, and cannot done by the AI ony command.

That would be a shame after all for such a fine sim. But sooner or later some of their customers will demand this. It's just a question of time, imho.

Their custimers, which is the military (the civilian version did not really sell as well as expected, I have the impression), wnated helicopters as flying targets for the gunners to train aiming at fast moving targets, and now, since the australians do use SBP on small and medium level wargaming, they also wanted an airborn observation platform. It is there, therefore, but the crew positions are absolutely rudimentary, Esim said. This will never turn into a tank AND flightsim, it will always remain a mechanized warfare sim on vehicle, platoon and company level, being best in tank stuff, with some infantry stuff, and even less helicopter stuff. expect much more, and you're likely to become dissapointed. also, if you add fideltity flight components, there is a rat's tail of additonal demands that need to be implemnted, like SAM units, radar (a whole new abyss of must-be-dones), and thehn think about the complexity of bubbles in Falcon 4. It is too much. They are not as well-staffed like a big game studio.

One day they will have worked all of them off and then they can finally implement some fine gunship AI. And teach the infantry crawling

Currently they have 600 confirmed bugs in there, though most users do not even recognize any of them - the obvious and showstopping ones are already gone. we talk of wrong ammunition layouts, or wrong numbers of rounds and such things. After that, military demands, military demands, and more military demands. Go figure. They plan to have a military-free developement year in 2009, focussing on the civilian market excluisvely, and finish things that are since long in the making (or the hoping). what will come of that remains to be seen. One can hope a lot and think that as reasonable, but I personally will not be angry with them if they deliver some items NOT. A mannable T72 is in high demand, for example (artwork is finished, but zero functionality currently), also: animated suspension. So far, no military has ordered it.

That's what I would use them for. Some beaten formations that managed to sneak through and no tanks can catch up with them again fast enough, that's where a gang of gunships would come in handy and that is what I would want to have a really big map. Paratroops or air cavalery could be fun too to intercept breaked through formations. :hmm:

All that dropping stuff can be arranged in the editor.

But I still have one hell of a fun with SB1.

Why not giving SBP a try then. If someone already likes SB1, there is no chance that SBP will be considered as wasted money.

My skills much improved. This came me very handy even In OFP tank operations too.

I am absolutely unforgiving about comparing SBP with the jumping rubber tanks in OFP!

Last edited by Skybird; 10-27-07 at 05:56 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote