View Single Post
Old 09-09-16, 09:36 PM   #23
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 0

For Mallet (in particular) The following is much simpler to learn as a newbie, then you can explore the PK/AOB/sonar/radar complexity AFTER you are more familiar with the simulation:

With regards to using the TDC in all its complexity, (especially with the PK usage), I find that complexity for the sake of necessity in a game can be fun, however, even Dick O'Kane used a much less complicated modified constant bearing method of torpedo fire control that was much simpler and can be closely emulated in game. In fact Rockin Robbins himself has a video demo showing its simplicity. See

Utilizing this constant bearing method, you don't ever need to turn on the PK, let alone worry about intermittent AOB/range readings. In fact all you need to start is initial course and speed so you can plot an end around if necessary to position yourself right off that course. Of course a few intermittent observations are necessary to verity that the target is indeed continuing along that course with/without a zigzag. Work your way into an approx. 90 degree intercept point at your preferred range. I generally use 600, but sometimes as necessity dictates will increase the distance. I will not set up less than 600 due to torpedo arming distance.

With that in mind, and the approx. intercept point determined, you can preset the TDC with speed first, then preset what the predetermined AOB will be AT that intercept point. I use 10 degrees lead AOB for 8 knots or less, 15 degrees lead AOB for 9 to 12 knots, and 20 degrees lead AOB for any speed over 12 knots.

Then at this same time, I preset the scope/TBT to the same lead angle (10,15, or 20 degrees), basically looking straight down the same heading as the AOB lead angle. Keep in mind, the sub itself will be pointed at close to 90 degrees to the target track. After the normal double clicks on the TDC, you can determine that your setup is almost perpendicular to the target AND you can do a quick check on the attack map screen to see that the torpedo is set up to fire at the approx 90 degree intercept gyro angle you have set into the TDC.

Usually, I have the TDC already pre-setup WAY in advance of reaching the intercept point. This allows me to quickly make a simple one parameter change and re-double click if something necessitates a change. Keep in mind that you have to have the fore/aft torpedo selected that you are plotting to fire along with the scope/TBT lined up along the same lead angle. The latter two items can really mess with your mind when you re-double click and you have moved them since the last time you double clicked. Again this can be confirmed with the left side TDC ship image displays and a quick glance at the attack map screen.

All you have to do now is place yourself at the predetermined intercept point and wait for the target to cross the Periscope/TDC wire. In effect the target has placed itself on the pre-determined artificial target point without you having to make all sorts of bearing/range/AOB observation inputs to the TDC/PK referred to in the earlier post(s) above. I use this technique in almost all my intercepts because I figure if Dick O'Kane used this method it's good enough for me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you add up all the sunk tonnage he was responsible for (Wahoo AND Tang), he was probably the leading sub ace in WWII.

Some notes:

I try to ensure that the target will indeed be at or slightly outside the predetermined TDC range setting (especially at higher target speeds). The reason for this is at such close range and higher target speeds the TDC lead angle will cause a bow shot to actually cross in front of the target instead of intercepting the bow. This intercept range is adjusted preferably by a small judicious forward/reverse ship movement, but can be done on the TDC, (necessitating double-click rechecking of the solution of course).

Just because you have set up a solution waiting for the target to cross the wire does not mean you have to abandon the shot if you have managed to be a little late raising the scope all the way up. In that case, keep your calm, move the scope a little ahead of the target bow, double click the TDC and fire when he crosses the wire at that new point. This quick snap shot re-setup did not change any TDC settings except the periscope bearing it was fired on, so it usually works and for sure the target is probably slightly further from the pre-determined range referred to in the earlier note above.

This constant bearing technique is much more adaptable to quick snap-shot solutions when you are in the midst of a group of ships than the PK/AOB observations earlier discussed.

You can also use this constant bearing method at sub headings different than a 90 degree tangent, which is helpful in mult-ship convoy intercepts. You just point the sub at your chosen intercept angle and then set the AOB to (10, 15, or 20 degrees) lead from that and align the scope/TBT to that same lead angle. This allows you to shoot at a further target as it crosses the wire using a slower torpedo speed setting, then quickly resetting the TDC range to an inside target and firing torpedoes at a faster speed setting resulting in near simultaneous detonations. (This assumes all the convoy ships are on the same course and speed)

Remember the object of the game/simulation is to sink tonnage in as realistic (but not necessarily as complicated) a manner as possible, depending on your enjoyment factor of course.

Member since February 2007

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Hobby/Gaming Computng since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)

Last edited by Gray Lensman; 09-09-16 at 10:42 PM.
Gray Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote