View Single Post
Old 12-17-17, 09:21 PM   #1
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Default The Bronco Models SSN-21 Seawolf in 1/350th..

..scale. Has anyone built it? I first heard about this kit at about the same time it went out of production or stopped being sold in the US (several years ago).

I'm starting to see it being available for shipment to the US on Ebay, but would it be worth the hassle to get one? Basically, are we talking about something as good (or almost as good) as the Hobby Boss 1/350th scale kits?

Speaking of "un-obtainable", what do the other builders on the forum use for red under-hull (anti-foul) paint? I know White Ensign used to make an under-hull red but not any more. The Hull Red paints by Tamiya and Valejo don't look too promising. I actually have some Tamiya Hull Red and it's more like "dark rust brown" and much too dark for a modern ship (to be fair, I'm pretty sure Tamiya's paint is matched for the WWII IJN ships). In the past I've used a mix of Testor's Insignia Red, flat Roof Brown, and a bit of Flat White but it never really looked "right". BTW, I've posted about it before but Testor's Insignia Red is a really close match to the paint that was used on real US subs in the late 80's and early 90's. Think of this as the only good reason to get shipyard duty.

Last up is Tamiya's Black Panel Line Accent Color (aka YouTube Hype Paint). If you build models and watch YouTube, you've heard about it and seen it in action. ITS AMAZING! ITS A GAME CHANGER! ITS OUT OF STOCK! ..permanently, it seems. After several weeks of waiting for a bottle to get delivered from Japan, I can report..

.. its very thin flat black enamel with a nifty brush built into the cap.
There's no real magic going on here. It flows the same as if you thinned-down any flat black enamel to a mix of 5 parts thinner to one part of paint. Try mixing up some as a "home brew" and pour it into an empty Tamiya Extra Thin Cement bottle, now you don't have to wait for that "backorder" status to change.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote