View Single Post
Old 04-25-24, 05:20 AM   #373
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

This news really is a bigger-than-biggie: Meta opens its Quest operation system for other VR headset producers. And if the calculation behind this move works out as hoped for, then this can and will have dramatic and mostly positive consequences for the VR market. And could in the long run reinforce Meta's dominance on the market, leading to a monopoly. However, a unification of VR standards imo is necessary, because Microsoft dropping out of VR support (Windows Mixed Reality), Sony stopping production of its headset version 2 (not selling well because Playstation does not have enough VR games in store), and the most popular (by user numbers) VR headset on PC still being an almost 5 year old piece of tech, holds a message in itself.

It must get simpoler, cheaper, more affordable. The interest is there. The market groes, constantly, but just slower than market anaylsts hoped it would. Which maybe is good, I think: growth at natural speed over revolution. However, if you get too slow, things stall. I thunk the Quest 3 really serves as a doorkicker, sicne it is both independent and PC-usable, and combined great technical ability with affordability. Have you noticed how little we hear of Apple's seven-times as expensive headset? It costs three times as much than I have spend on the Quest plus all hardware like batteries and grip attachments (and those from the US really were costly due to shipping and taxes) plus all software I use on it.