View Single Post
Old 11-06-07, 05:29 AM   #19
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Hmm, I just remember that footage where police copters or ground observation stations use the highly sensetive thermal vision devices leaving any suspect chanceless no matter in which terrain. Devices that can make temperature differences of 0.5 degree visible. But then I also remember some images, I think from the apache where the performance appeared to me rather crappy. But I think the quality of the device plays a major role. I don't know which quality level various military branches can effort. There are this standart night vission goggles for soldiers with a crappy visual range of maybe 300 meters whereas super expensive night vision devices have a very long range and cristal clear optics.

I think you mix up thermals and rest light amplifiers (? =Restlichtverstärker). Western tanks use thermals, soldiers wear night vision goggles of the latter kind. Also, a tank from the front can be suprisignly cool, especially when having sit still since longer. An uncovered human body from 400 m away and filmed against cold ground of course lights up like a bright white spot on dark background.

Of course. How much more armour do the 2A5 have compared to the 2A4 and the M1A1 ?

You'll feel it in the sim. The Strv122 almost outclasses the M1A1. The 2A6m is considered by many to be the best protected tank in service, currently. The guy in your video confirmed that, too, if I remember correctly.

As far as I can remember the M1A2 has twice the armour of the M1A1m is that right ?

Don't know out of the blue, I need to look it up. It has more armour of course.