View Single Post
Old 08-16-20, 12:32 AM   #7
itsjero
Swabbie

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0

I often hid near or next to a sunken ship to mask my sub.

Also, on one specific mission ( ive done this before ) i shadowed a large container ship from an aircraft that would.not.leave.me.alone. Its like it had the best MAD or Sonar detection or had a psychic on board. It knew where i was and the depth and everything. I was running at most 5 knts and often 0 and it would still find me regardless of my tactic.

So, as fate decided, a huge container ship was bearing down on my location. As it passed by ( im in a typhoon btw.. red october ftw ) i sped up and got pretty much directly underneath it. I even backed off a bit so i could launch some anti ship missles at the lingering strike group. Even though the launches would give away my position and the plane would come back around after it lost me in the ships shadow, it would never fire a torpedo or depth charges since it "knew" where i was.

So i kind of tested how far the computer AI would go. Would it fire on some regular people on a regular ship to get to me underneath? Lets find out.

Id ping the sonar to get it to come back after hiding in the shadow worked great. It was the only way i could lose the plane. But i was toying with him, so id fire a missle here and there and take out a long range target or activate the active sonar to give me away and have him make another pass.

This went on for about 10-15 minutes. I was convinced i could ride this guy out of the map and he wouldnt fire on me due to killing innocents.

But, leave it to the USSR to disregard bystanders. After about 10 or 15 minutes, the plane i guess just had enough of me and lined up right on our bearing come from the rear. As it got close it dropped what i thought might have been a sonarbuoy. Nope. Torpedo in the water! All head full and dropped a countermeasure.

But sure enough, the plane WILL fire on you if you are shadowing a civilian ship. It just takes awhile, and even if it means torpedoing the ship to get to you, eventually, it will.

Thought it was funny that he had enough and engaged. Sunk the container ship but i used that as my final out and bounced.
itsjero is offline   Reply With Quote