View Single Post
Old 05-11-12, 07:11 AM   #329
RustySubmarine
Engineer

Location: Tamworth UK. Presently,somewhere Below The Atlantic
Downloads: 364
Uploads: 0

First a very BIG THANK YOU to the Grey Wolves Dev Team for making SHIII such a wonderful sim.

I think that the age of the Uboat Simulator is slowly coming to an end, after the introduction of SH5. This latest of the series was long over due, but didn't come up to the expectations that everyone expected. First there were all the bugs in the stock game and to top it all, the blasted DRM that made the game only playable on line, connected to Ubisoft servers. This was a great dissapointment, but has recently been overcome by the option to play off line, even though it is for single player only.

I have noticed that since SH5's release, the Modders have been busy at it again to try and make a decent job of SH5, although I don't think it will ever reach the following of SH3, which in my opinion is the most enjoyable version to play. Ok, you can't interact with the crew, but that is not the be all end all, it's what the game has to offer in reality, which is the most important and SH3 doesn't come much better than it can with GWX Gold.

I think SH5 will be the last Sub Sim in this series, regarding a German Uboat simulator from Ubisoft, unless some other company can come up with something better, which I very much doubt.

So it is time to take stock, of what has been available since Sub Sims first came on the scene and what we are left with. First we had Silent Service, SH1, Aces Of The Deep (still one of the best, but sadly out of touch with modern computers) Then SH2, became available for Windows 98. The ultimate SH3, then SH4, and finally SH5. The last three are obviously the ones most people still play and enjoy and these are still at the forefront of Submarine Simulation. I think that we have just got to carry on with these three and hope that SH5 will reach the goals that SH3 reached with GWX, but I doubt it will ever come up to the playable standards that we have all come to enjoy (and) my favorite, SH3. Unless SH6 should become possible to a standard that we have all yet to see, made perfect. Who knows what future technology may bring us. Remeber, Not so long ago, Silent Service was the bees knees.

I joined the navy to see the world
What did I see?
I saw the SEA!!!!
RustySubmarine is offline   Reply With Quote