View Single Post
Old 01-12-17, 11:25 PM   #3481
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutted View Post
Was sent to take pictures of Hiroshima harbor. Two Akagi class carriers were stuck together.

July 31, 1942
http://imgur.com/a/x9L0Y

On the way out of the harbor i saw what looked like two ships that collided. Both were stopped. One was on fire, the other was sitting so low in the water it looked like it was about to sink.

Also saw another ship doing wide circles with only it's aft sticking out of the water. It almost ran into me. Took some video of it LOL.
OK gutted, I've gone through all the files for the 41a and the 42b, in addition to the 42a "target" layers, and merged all the campaign files in each set altogether to see what might be overlapping what. Surprisingly, there isn't any in that area. However, there are a few things that can be going on.

First, the two carriers. My guess is that there is an RGG set to spawn an at-anchor, GENERIC CV every 200 hours at a 15% rate in the middle of the harbor, in the Jap_HarborTraffic file - which just happens to be my least favorite file. Entirely too big, and a mess of a file for what they want it to do in-game. The possibility exists that in that time frame from the beginning of the game until your arrival in July 1942 that there could be as many as 4 CV generated there... They're supposed to be anchored, "Docked", standing still, space occupied, but as we've seen at Pearl Harbor and Brisbane entirely too often, the ships drift a pinch in the 'water', and another will attempt to spawn in the open portion of the spot. Same thing may have happened where you saw the two you'd thought had collided. They do have a tendency, once involved in a "collision" while spawning, to try to "get away", so that might have been what you saw there also.

Second, it might be with what you saw while leaving, was that a vessel spawned in front of or on top of a moving "patrol" ship, that was motoring aimlessly around the harbor. I mean, there is ~so~ much of that traffic in the Inland Sea, it's mind boggling. Another thing we have seen in Pearl Harbor is the Patrol vessels get in each others ways, and they start to back up. They do not backup the way you or I would, to gain a better angle at where they are going... no - in fact, they often turn the opposite direction from what they need to, making matters worse. They also do not use their rear-view mirrors, and back into each other constantly. To top that off, they do not have collision detection apparently when backing, so continue to do so, often times "merging" with another ship or dock, or both. Fire, explosions and mayhem soon follow...

The main thing is, there isn't anything obvious that a person can see in the Mission Editor unfortunately. I need to put myself on a playable IJN vessel that is "friendly" to its surroundings, so that I can "see" these harbors in the daylight, in context... I am currently working on taking the Jap_HarborTraffic MIS file, and splitting it into six separate files, coinciding with the current 41a, 42a, 42b, etc. scheme of things, and there will only be ONE spawn of a parked ship each file... That's the plan anyway. Finding all the parked ships in each of the files is proving to be a daunting task, but I'm getting there... Now, if it just works when I get finished...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote