View Single Post
Old 12-02-18, 10:42 AM   #11
techsubdiver
Swabbie

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
I have to disagree with this statement. CW is much easier to get into than DW or SH. However, if someone had already played DW and SH, maaaaaaybe getting into CW would be less accessible, but as an extensive DW player, I had no issues getting into CW. CW is very much "here's some buttons" and you can start playing and have fun. DW takes a long time just to get used to how everything works, never mind playing the game effectively.

Unfortunately, yes, some things are, for all intents and purposes, completely hard coded and not changeable without access to the source code. You cannot go from machine code to editable code that is easy for humans to understand.
I of couse respect your opinion about the accessibilty matter. Different opinons are fine. But I still stand by mine and I am to 100% sure that this has nothing to do with playing Dangerous Waters before jumping into CW. Me and my buddy we both started play Dangerous Waters and not even took a look at the manual and zero knowledge on how stuff works. We jumped right into the subs, turned most AI crews on and it worked like a charm by observing how the AI handles the station and checking the drop down menues and interfaces. Sure we got hit sometimes but the replay function perfectly showed you what happened there as in DW there are no ASW assets that magically spawn out of thin air to prosecute you, but assets you can really observe, how they react to your or their allies actions. Buddy also played a mission in true mode to check on how things work and we´re spent our first exciting Dangerous Waters Saturday having big fun without ever taking a glance at the manual. The included wiki about every weapon and asset also was very helpful.

Now playing CW end up on one day with accidentaly drive full speed frontal into a creeping modern OPFOR sub on the campaign map but spawning right behind him without him being aware of anything. On the other day I would ambush a (loud) surface in an high tech seawolf without moving on the strategic layer (which translates then to creeping 5kts ingame) in best sea conditions just to spawn directly in active sonar and prosecution range of their warships (no matter what distance settings you chose) with torps being dropped right in the first minute at me. In other cases also engaging a surface group at slow speed on the map but being prosecuted by a magically spawned ASW helo or plane instantly which homes for my location from minute 1 without having any clue why this is happening and no way to check that. Reporting this on the forums usually end up by people come up with the wildest theories and others recommend you to change some ini settings or whatever but nobody has a clue why certain things happen. Saw this countless times for streamers happen which also were left without any logic explanation. I spent more time to reading explanations on forums about what specific file values may cause ingame as playing the game. Nothing I would call accessible.

For that I ALWAYS would recommend Dangerous Waters instead of Cold Waters to people who want to get into an accessible submarine simulation as it comes with everything you need to get going: a good AI support for everything that requires some digging and alot of transparency to figure things out and everything what happens is accessible even to uneducated common logic. Things I unfortunately cannot say about Cold Waters. Sure if somebody would ask me for an game where you can shoot alot of torps from the bat, evade 10 torps like a badass, or do knuckle Mantras for stress relief I probably would consider recommending CW.

Anyways I have no intent to make CW look bat as it was definitely my fault for not checking thoroughly for that Cold Waters aims for action not realism as I was probably insantly putting on rose-tinted glasses when discovering that there is a new modern subsim on the store. Just had the hope that mods would provide a solution.

Last edited by techsubdiver; 12-02-18 at 10:52 AM.
techsubdiver is offline   Reply With Quote