View Single Post
Old 02-01-17, 08:28 AM   #6
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Due View Post
EDIT: Just realized that if any of this is actually true, that this is how it actually worked back then, then the Fighter Wings (JG) had a completely different system I have absolutely no idea how worked, seeing lots of pics of fighters using only a single coloured number, then _perhaps_ but not always, a symbol, decal or something tailside of the cross. Sometimes there was nothing but a coloured number and the cross, and the colour scheme included more colours than the 3 for bomber squadrons. Then, to make matters worse, sometimes they didn't use any number at all, just a single symbol nose-side of the cross.
ROFL! Yes, the system JGs used sure was different.

First of all, unit ID was done by placing the unit emblem near the nose or the cockpit.

The fuselage markings consisted of individual plane #, squadron and group.

Plane # and squadron were forward of the Cross, a colored number or colored outline of the number.

Squadron 1: White
Squadron 2: Red or Black
Squadron 3: Yellow

(Squadron 4, if used: Blue)

After the Cross was the group identifier. These could be colored with the squadron color or left black.

Group I: none
Group II: horizontal bar
Group III: wavy line or vertical bar
Group IV: half wavy line, + or a filled circle.

So, a fighter with fuselage markings 3#~
Aircraft #3
Group III (wavy line)
8. Squadron (red color)
i.e. 8./JG X

The symbols replacing the number forward of the Cross were used by staff. Group commander would have a << symbol instead of a number, group adjutant < etc. etc.

Oh and these all might be a little different from JG to JG.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the squadron # was a running number, so Group I would have 1-3, Group II 4-6, Group III 7-9.

Unless, of course, the unit had 4 squadrons per group.

Last edited by Dowly; 02-01-17 at 08:45 AM.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote