View Single Post
Old 02-09-19, 01:34 PM   #6
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

I have multiple versions of DW, RA, and LWAMI installed on my machine (Win10, 64 bit).
I don't play with the mod enabler because RA has a lot of mod files associated with each version.

I started out with the Strategy First direct download version of DW which is installed in my Program Files (X86) folder. I then copied the main DW folder out to my desktop, ran the RA or LWAMI installer, then renamed the copied main folder (DWLWAMI, DWRA142, DWRA1477, etc.) and finally moved the new main file directly into my C drive folder.

The Strat First version of DW comes with a program called LaunchDW.exe located in each DW main folder. I click on that in the version I want to use and select the top Launch option to start the game. This also updates the entries in my registry so I can just click the Start icon on my taskbar to play the version I selected. I have LWAMI and 5 or 6 versions of RA installed, which is over kill but, well, why not?

This isn't the most efficient use of hard drive space but I have a 1TB hard drive that mostly plays DW and Flight Sim 2002 so space isn't a huge concern.
And, best of all, it works.

One of the things I really like about DW (besides the fidelity of the over all game) is that you can develop your own tactics and play the game the way you want and its equally as valid as anyone else.
The way I play is fairly unique. I did this stuff for real from 1987 to 1993. I qualified submarines aboard the USS Barbel (SS580) when we were homeported in Sasebo Japan and then transferred to the USS Bremerton (SSN 698) in Pearl Harbor after the Barbel was de-commissioned. I guess you could say that the way I play the game is tainted by the real world.

What I was getting to with the torpedo dodging question is that you are now in charge of a multi billion dollar national asset and a crew of approx. 130 people. Don't forget that. Its hard to say "Sorry about that" 130 times when the ship is flooding.

Attack submarines can (should?) be thought of as sniper rifles. You're set up to make long range shots while staying concealed. Your game is ambush, not YOLO. That's just a pet peeve of mine when I watch YouTubers dodging torpedoes in Cold Waters. Yeah, its entertaining but dude, you've already lost the fight.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote