View Single Post
Old 03-21-17, 02:25 PM   #30
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
I'm betting your new Buick will be very popular at the next car show Chris, provided you take it there. I like the fact that it's as original as the day it rolled off the show room floor.

It always saddens me to go to car shows and see that someone has chopped the roof or tubbed a classic car. These people then think they have improved the looks of their car. I always thought these people had more dollars than sense.

The older or more mature crowd seem to restore or keep their car as close to original as when it was built. Just keep your eye on your car at the shows as jealous people like to intentionally damage them and careless people let their dogs jump up on cars or run strollers or wagons into these cars.

You also mentioned removing the hardened seats. I'm thinking the original owners did so to be able to run unleaded gas. Why remove them ? If you like oddball cars, I have pictures of one sitting in the garage which most will know what it is.
I have not experienced careless patrons at shows but once. It was a kid who liked banging on the cars. I'm very selective of what shows I attend.

The hardened seats are not necessary in Buick nailhead heads. There is enough nickel content the metal is hard enough to withstand unleaded gas. Also, most who cut the Buick heads for seats cut into the water jacket. Heads are ruined. In my case, the hardened seat cause a loud tap and I was blowing oil out the tail. I did not remove the seats. The seats destroyed the heads. Back then Chevy, Caddy, Olds and Buick did their own thing. Engines were different and not shared. Today, everyone rebuilds Buick like a Chevy. No good. Not sure if the previous owner who had the engine rebuilt approved the seats or not.

Video of burning blue:

Cracked open the heads and found this mess:

Replaced the rings and valve job while in frame. The clown who installed the seats and did the rebuild did a host things wrong. The rocker arm shafts were installed upside down. The rings...does not appear the cylinders were honed. Hardened seats.

2 months out of service and $3000.00 later....

Smoke and noise free:

Last edited by AVGWarhawk; 03-21-17 at 02:41 PM.
AVGWarhawk is offline   Reply With Quote