View Single Post
Old 11-25-07, 09:26 PM   #22
Chock
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Yup, I have his book, and very good it is too, but often the repro of pictures in the book is not quite as good as the same ones you find on the web, since all the pics are B&W. Even so, there's a lot of pics in it you don't find anywhere else, and some good explanatory notes too about what all the stuff on the subs is.

I'd still recommend getting Wayne Frey's book (Russian Submarines: Guardians of the Motherland) to anyone - even if you aren't building this model - because it's one of the few books out there on the subject matter you can find with English text, it's also got some great pics of Alphas and Typhoons (i.e. the real Akula).

If, like me, you grew up during the Cold War, when you simply never saw pictures like that at all, it's always a thrill to get a good proper look at them (pictures like that when I was a kid would either have got you shot, or rich). I remember having to settle for grainy pics taken from overflying US reconnaissance planes if you wanted to know what a Russian sub looked like. In addition to which, if you buy a copy of Wayne's book, it will encourage him to do another one! And I certainly hope he does.

Incidentally, as Steve says, subpirates.com is another great place to find sub pics and advice if you are into modeling them, in fact, there are some really great ones on there of the funky little 'Lada' Russian diesel sub, where you can get a really good look at its anechoic tiles, it's well worth a visit to the site just for that alone!

Chock

Last edited by Chock; 11-25-07 at 09:42 PM.
Chock is offline   Reply With Quote