Old 08-20-17, 05:56 PM   #8484
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
Hi gap
You make a strong point of discussion regarding the various points you detailed.
In sobers mega mod while you can dive using an icon you cannot surface or crash dive without going to the chief.
At decks awash you have to dive or go to periscope depth or snorkel depth before you can surface.
While this sounds somewhat absurb in real terms as you have pointed out it actually ads a lot to the game immersion.
I particularly liked the fact that it appeared to make the game slower as you seem to take more care and attention in the details.
I found myself walking up and down ladders instead of always teleporting and also taking the time to read the dials properly in the command room for the first time in years.

I am not implying that TWOS should be going down this route as many like yourself would not want it and would be too radical.
More commands to the crew by avatar makes the game more personal and in a funny way it makes you feel more responsible to your crew than just pushing icons.
Its also useful to have the icons as one can take them or leave them.

Currently the default integrated default fuel/battery/CO2/compressed air UI in TWOS could be removed or disabled in the Options File Editor Viewer as this information is already in the sub sytem screen.
Peter
I see your point and I respect it THEBERBSTER. I am not against radical solutions either.

Where I think our visions diverge, is on our respective interpretations of the word "immersion". If I got you correctly, for you that means a game that forces the player into a well pondered and somewhat slower playing style, privileging the long waits and the experience of daily routines that characterized a big part of U-boat crew lives, over the heptic action that they also had to face at times. Those are qualities that I also appreciate, but being an history lover and a simulation fan, I always tend to find more "immersive" what I think is closer to reality

Talking about it, a feature that I would happily give up, and I think you will agree with me on that, is the teleport function: it makes our lives much easier, but IMO it is somewhat unrealistic and it totally betrays one of the main strong points of SH5 over its prdecessors. i.e. the chance of commanding a fully walkable sub
gap is offline   Reply With Quote