Old 11-15-10, 12:00 PM   #32
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabretwo View Post
Makman,

Sorry if I am becoming a PITA with all of my questions lately. Your work on this GUI is simply amazing and reviewing your tutorials you certainly have a deep knowledge of how these tools work.

As a novice to your GUI, I am still going crazy trying to figure some of this out. After several years of using OLC Gold's AOB finder, I pretty much had it mastered and routinely got great solutions. Your GUI looks and feels very similar, but is still a bit of a mystery to me.

With the attack periscope at 12X, I am getting good ranges. However, the trouble I am having now is AOB. I am trying to use the instructions you provided in your tutorial for MaGUI 3.4 but my AOB determinations are wildly wrong.

Sorry I can't screenshot SH3 images in Win 7, but I'll try to explain an example...

I am stationary and determining a solution for attacking a Medium Merchant (length 140.5). My zoom is set at max of the two zoom options for the attack periscope (presumably 12X). I calculated the range at 1,400 meters. (I verified the accuracy of this later by having the Weapon Officer automatically calcualte a solution) I then moved the wheel so that the '14' on the outside of the wheel (1,400 meters) is opposite '140.5' on the outer ring (the length of the vessel). I then center the vertical crosshair on the ship and count horizontl tick marks toward the bow of the ship. With the reticle in MaGUI Widescreen (different scale than the reticle in MaGUI 3.4) I get 12 marks (two ticks beyond the 10-degree mark). Reading the AOB on the inner ring opposite the '12' value on the inside of the wheel, I get an AOB of 15-degrees (which I can tell by eye is very wrong). When I auto-solved the solution immediately afterward to double-check my calculations, SH3 auto-solved the AOB at 147-degrees.

What am I doing wrong here?

I greatly appreciate your help and patience. I am determined to master your GUI yet!
hi Sabretwo,

i have no problem answering your questions but i am wondering ...have you read my notes for MaGui's optics ? (that is the first thing i would have done...).everything you need to know is written there.

in there you would have read this :

each mark at both horizontal and vertical scale (at both scopes) is 1

note:
-----
if you count the half length of ship then each mark at horizontal scale (and only at horizontal) is 2

so, to answer your question you have to look opposite ''24'' to find your aob.
opposite ''24'' you will read aob=31+ or aob=180-31+ = 149- (tool can't calculate complementary angles) which is very close to the correct solution (of 147 degrees).
( pay attention to this: opposite 12 is 15+ and not 15- as you say so i am suspecting that you accidentally have matched 14 with 145 and not 140,5....check this).

tip: i suggest to count the FULL length of ship (not the half) becuase sh3 has a bug that is NOT CENTERING to all ships when scope is locked on them (this bug is still...unsolved).

the 'fault' of these 1-2 degrees at aob is becuase :
a) not exactly correct range measurment
or
b) faults at the desing of tool itself
or
c) not correct ship's dimensions (thats why you need the TMT mod here)
or
d) a combination of all the aboves

but have in mind that a tiny fault at aob is acceptable (till 10 degrees) becuase your target is close (using the rings is only recommended for fast solutions) and if your speed measure is ok ....then your torp will ...hit .

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods