View Single Post
Old 10-21-10, 03:30 PM   #5
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

yes i know that this thread is 4 months old but i just saw it and i feel i should pass on this info

Just to clarify the issues with using a mission created for TMO or RFB without having to use those mods:

i'll try to explain simply the problems why missions must be converted to be generic to work with any mod or work with stock.

the problem with missions designed for specific mods is they often make use of ships that arent found in the stock game and because of that they will cause CTD isues when run in the game that doesnt include those ships.

when a mission designed to work with a mod that has added ships to the game then what happens is when the mission loads, if the ship doesnt exist in the stock game then the game gets lost trying to find it which results in the CTD issue. the whole key is not the state of how modded a ship is but only wether or not it is found in the game at all is what matters.

there wont be a problem is when ships from the stock game are modded because the game can find them to be put into the missions so that wont cause CTD issues because they are there even if they arent modded as TMO or RFB missions may have intended them to be.

all i had to do to convert the missions to work with stock or ANY mod was to go through all the mission ships and replace any ships not found in the stock game with a replacement ship that is found in the stock game and that means those missions will now work with ANY mod as well as the stock unmodded game.

so anyone can convert them fairly easy in the same way.

the best way this can be done is manually by opening the mission files with windows notepad and change the necessary ship number, type, and class. none of the speeds, course, logitude, latitude, waypoints, location, or direction need to be messed with.

when replacing ships in missions, always try to replace a ship with one of the same basic type or style to preserve the same "feel" and "dificulty" the mission creator was trying to create. when i have to replace a ship that doesnt have a stock equivalent then i will use sub chasers to replace most small patrol craft but its a judgement call you must make based on the diffaculty level you think it should have but i try to leave the mission as close to original diffaculty as i can but if i cant do that i figure harder is a better difference then easier.

last note is missions for sh4 v1.4 use different ship type numbers for the conte verde and the big battleships which can cause CTD issues so if anyone still uses v1.4 then thats what you change to convet v1.5 missions for use with v1.4

Last edited by Webster; 10-26-10 at 10:22 AM.