View Single Post
Old 03-12-12, 07:00 PM   #1432
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Does invisibility even work? I remember in past Elder Scroll games if you cast invisibility the AI wouldn't instantly start in on the "must have been nothing" routine, but in Skyrim if I cast invisibility I get ruthless beaten... the towns people if i'm walking thru still all talk and acknowledge me.

To the best of my own experience it doesn't work or only gives you a small sneak bonus.
I have only used potions for Invisibility, they work fine *if* you were not already detected before taking the potion. So I go to a place where I am already hidden, take the potion, and then come back out and no one can see me. If I'm in sneak mode they generally can't hear me either, altho level of Sneak skill and perks/gear probably factor into that.

However if I have already been seen, taking the potion doesn't seem to help that much since my presence was already known. It's not like I disappear and everyone goes "huh? I guess I just imagined that person standing over there, because now I don't see anyone." Again, Sneak skill/perks and gear may factor into that if you disappear but still try to move, if you can be heard then that could give it away I suppose since they already know you're there somewhere.

With casting the spell, I don't know, but unless you have silent casting as a perk (IIRC there is such a thing) maybe they know that a spell's been cast and that gives your general position away.

I can say that the graphics at least reflect Invisibility with the potions, because I've gone into third person and I'm definitely invisible altho I can see a sort of shimmer to indicate where I am, this apparently is just a way of the game allowing you to see yourself and I don't think NPCs can see it, but maybe they can if they know you were there and are looking for it.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote