Thread: No comment
View Single Post
Old 07-22-17, 01:07 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Kitty Genovese, standard introductory lecture at university for everbyody attending courses in social psychology. At least back in my time. Recently, the way the story got told so far, has been put into doubt a bit. I doubt that after this long time the correct verison of narration can be found out, however.

However, there is a difference between the bystander effect, and the displayed behaviour of the teens here.

In case of Kitty Genovese, the people did not react due to several psychological interpretations of their motives, from believing that somebody else would call the police anyway so one miust not do it oneself, to believeing that one would be physically unsuited to interfere with a physically strong attacker.

In case of these teens here now they did not help in order to get a nice motive for their cellphone video, which they actively rated as more important than the life of the person drowning. The death of the other was actively desired for - and for very low, antisocial motives. Lacking interest of any sorts was not what made these teens doing what they did: they simply were bored and found the death of a man entertaining. They even mocked him and laughed about him. That is not a lack of interest to care for somebody in need, but an active interest - an interest in seeing the man dying.

This borders the mindset of active intentional murder, in my book. and this wouold be the charges thrsy would need to face if I would have a say in the matter.

Unfortunately, the bureaucratization of the law seems to allow them to escape consequences without being held responsible.

Its a growing problem here in Germany. Accidents on the Autobahn, and bystanders blocking police and rescuers from getting forward to the scene.

More and more people are seriously deranged in their heads, and moral values.