View Single Post
Old 08-10-18, 04:10 AM   #4
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Hello insomnia,
so sorry to hear that. What a succession of bad events! Chances are so much better when a stroke is discovered sooner. Reading that i do not know what to say. I had no idea that health care is like that, in Canada. Is there no insurance or coverage for medical treatment in case of such emergencies? (and yes i would prefer a "nanny" state everytime before this, 'sorry' for the 'political' sidekick. NOT.)

Glad that the surgery could be done though. It is idiotic to say but it seems you were lucky. An elder aunt of mine lay in her chamber for 24 hours until someone realized something was wrong, and broke into her apartment. She was in a coma, palsied completely on one side. It was all too late, brain had been cut off fro a long time. She had to move into a nursing home and was never able to regain strength or even leave the bed again until she died two years later. Finding her within an hour would most probably have prevented all this.

This is really hard.. i have no idea how old you are; when you are younger you have of course much better chances for a recovery. I am not a doctor but i read a bit after this happened. The damaged area with its tissue cut off from supply cannot be "repaired", but will be reduced and built back over time, with other neurons building new axons to make up for the loss, and take over cut connections. This will take time though, speaking of years.

I don't know whether this is a good explanation..
"Normally, there is a perfect balance between the two halves of the brain thanks to the nerve cord known as corpus callosum, which allows for precise coordination between their two functions"
"The damage caused by a stroke changes this balance, with the consequence that the healthy hemisphere takes over the command and limits the plastic potential of the damaged tissue."

'Plastic' in this respect means that the brain is changing and exchanging grey matter and neuron connections all the time, and more and quickly after such events as a stroke: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroplasticity

I hope you get over it and better, soon.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 08-10-18 at 04:30 AM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote